Hiring Wage: $15.30/hr
Status: Part-time with benefits
Closing Date: Until Filled
Application Materials: Apply online at adacounty.id.gov/jobs
The Scalehouse Operator greets customers, oversees incoming waste, weighs vehicles, determines proper charges, directs customers to appropriate dump locations and maintains controlled access to the landfill. In addition, this position receives, accounts for, and follows specific procedure of monies collected at the landfill.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
This position performs routine and simple work under general supervision and according to pre-defined guidelines and processes.
· Greets customers upon arrival at the county landfill;
· Provides instruction to customers on proper disposal of various waste materials;
· Identifies hazardous, unauthorized, or unacceptable waste;
· Uses scale to weigh incoming loads to determine appropriate charges;
· Estimates the volume of waste for each customer;
· Performs accurate cash handling duties and follows specific department processes regarding payments collected;
· Evaluates load contents and identifies hazardous, unauthorized, or unacceptable waste in accordance with landfill guidelines;
· Performs data entry duties regarding disposal of various waste materials;
· Coordinates activities with Solid Waste Manager to admit only permissible materials;
· Directs customers to appropriate locations within landfill;
· Controls admittance to the landfill including opening and closing gates and cashier’s office;
· Provides information and answers customer’s inquiries related to landfill operations;
· Receives incoming telephone calls from customers or members of the general public.
· Disburses copies of County Ordinance for questionably secured loads;
· Provides pricing information to customers on potential future loads;
· Performs related duties as required.
· High school diploma or equivalent;
· Previous cashier experience preferred;
· Knowledge of cash handling procedures;
· Knowledge of basic math, general business arithmetic and transactions;
· Ability to operate a computer and general office equipment;
· Ability to understand, follow and communicate verbal and written directions;
· Ability to attend to customer needs and provide good customer service under stressful situations;
· Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with other landfill staff;
· Ability to maintain productivity and accuracy during high traffic conditions;
· Ability to accurately calculate weight and calculate payments;
· Ability to work with minimal supervision when management is unavailable;
· Ability to make routine decisions in accordance with established protocol.
· This position works 3 shifts per week. Each shift is 11 hours in leng for a total of 33 hours per week;
· The shift for the Scalehouse Operator is a set weekly schedule working either Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday or Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There may be a need to fill in for vacation of swap shifts occasionally.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
· Work is performed at the Ada County Landfill;
· Work is performed inside and outside in areas that are subject to changing climatic conditions and in inclement weather in open areas;
· Work is performed in an office setting and requires sitting or standing at a desk for long periods of time;
· The incumbent will be required to wear protective clothing and equipment when handling wastes and responding to spills, accidents or incidents.