Who is ALLETE?
ALLETE is an innovative company with more than a century of experience engaged in transforming the energy landscape in the upper Midwest. Our businesses include: Minnesota Power, the largest electric utility in northern Minnesota; Superior Water Light and Power of Wisconsin; North Dakota-based BNI Energy; and ALLETE Clean Energy. To find out more, watch a short introductory video about ALLETE and visit ALLETE.com
What will I do?
If hired, you would join ALLETE’s Cyber Technology Services department and would assist one of the following teams:
Analytics Infrastructure Team
Where you would provide training to personnel on report creation and publishing, as well as develop intelligent reporting, dashboard visualizations, and predictive AI/ML models utilizing big data platforms both on premise and in the cloud.
Telephony and Video Team
Where you would assist collaboration experts and customers support and use several network based systems including telephone, video conferencing, video security, digital display, conference room, and several other collaboration technologies used in a large enterprise environment.
Cyber Security and Compliance Team
Where you would have hands on experience being a member of cyber security team, threat hunting, triaging a variety of cyber events on a daily basis and developing security integrations. This role will also support various ongoing projects which will enhance the security and compliance position of ALLETE.
What are the qualifications for this internship?
- Must currently be enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Electrical Engineering or a related cyber-technology field
- Must be in the sophomore or junior year with an expected graduation date between December 2022 to June 2024
- Cumulative GPA: 3.0 or higher
- The ability to start the internship anytime between now and October 2021.
- Availability to work at least 12 hours per week during school year, full time during summer (potentially until graduation)
- Travel may be required dependent upon position responsibility so a valid driver’s license is preferred
- Candidates may be subject to assessment of skills, job match, or aptitude
What sort of candidate are you looking for?
The ideal candidate would be someone with:
- An insatiable desire to learn
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- The ability to be flexible and handle multiple work projects and priorities
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
To really grab our attention, tell us about your experiences with any of the following:
- Microsoft Server 2016 and newer and/or Windows 10
- Network based communications systems
- Video over IP, video conferencing, and video security system
- Artificial Intelligence and/or machine learning
- SQL, PL/SQL
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (or other flavors of Linux)
- Python, Java, C#, Powershell, or other programming languages/frameworks
- Database modeling, data governance, PowerBI
- Cyber security incident responce
- Real-time collaboration technologies like Webex, Zoom, or Microsoft Teams
- Conference room design and technology
- Technical Writing, communications skills
Where do I apply?
Qualified applicants must complete a job profile and apply at www.allete.com/careers
External applicants must apply online via www.allete.com/careers
ALLETE is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, marital status, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, status with regard to public assistance or any other protected class.
If you are an individual with disabilities who needs accommodation or you are having difficulty using our website to apply for employment, please contact our Human Resources department at 218-723-7553.