Description Summary: Beer is made in the cellar.
The Cellar Person at Bay 13 Brewery and Kitchen is responsible for packaging, cleaning, and maintenance duties at the brewery and otherwise acts as brewery support as directed by the Head Brewer.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Cleaning and sanitizing fermentation and conditioning tanks
- Facilitating beer transfers from tank to tank, slowly and in an aseptic manner
- Fermentation monitoring, cooling, conditioning, and carbonation
- Cleaning and sanitizing product lines and other equipment
- Inventory management, product receiving and rotation.
- Back of house and storage area organization and assigned maintenance
- Works with the Head brewer/Brewery staff to maintain a clean and tidy environment (floors, tank exteriors, etc.)
The Cellar Person should expect to work a minimum of 10-20 hours each week, up to 10 hours per day if necessary, depending on the production schedule. The remainder of the work week will be spent as a member of the front of house staff, directly engaging and interacting with customers. Overtime may be performed as needed if management allows.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Come in prepared to work. Communicate with the Head Brewer to understand the day’s objective.
- Proper personal protective equipment is required to be worn during the entire shift.
- Check CO2 volumes in the morning before the start of the day’s work
- Clean/sanitize all tanks that are empty, dirty and need to be cleaned
- Complete fermentation checks
- Primary focus should be to safely make beer and provide a safe working environment which allows us to work cleanly and produce great beer with minimal stress.
- Take charge of cleaning of the cellar areas and the washing of equipment, floors and tools to comply with company and government sanitation standards.
- Follow all SOPs and safety protocols
- Make observations of efficiencies and inefficiencies
- Make recommendations for equipment processes
- Regularly begin and complete standard tasks (inventory, scheduled cleaning, etc.)
- Contribute to improvements and processes required to gain efficiency and quality assurance in the cellar
- Contribute to the evolution of the cellar
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Remain calm, flexible, and able to work through setbacks and emergencies
- Ability to know when to ask for help from supervisor to prevent mistakes and to ultimately get the job done
- Communicate clearly with co-workers and managers, verbally and written
- Frequent problem solving
- Consistently lift and carry 10 pounds and occasionally lift and carry 70 pounds chest height
- Frequent bending, stooping, pushing, lifting, kneeling, and reaching
- Must be able to stand for the entire shift
- Consistently able to use repetitive wrist and hand motion
- Work with hot, cold, and hazardous equipment and materials
- Climb stairs several times a day
- Frequent hand washing
Let’s not split hairs here, this isn’t the most glamorous job in any brewery but, it is EXTREMELY vital. The perfect candidate for this position arrives on time and likes to see jobs through to the end, can communicate effectively, is able to troubleshoot quickly when necessary, has the capacity to improve different aspects of their role and other aspects of the Bay 13 as a whole. We view this position as a starting point for someone interested in entering the craft community with plenty of room and support for growth and promotion.