Grounds & Nursery Service Specialist 2, R21073
Salary: $32,916.00 – $42,468.00 Annually
Location: Bellevue WA, WA
Job Type: Full Time
Division: Administrative Services
Job Number: R21073
Job Status: Full-TimeOvertime EligibleRepresented
Bellevue College Grounds Crew is seeking qualified candidates to fill two (2) Grounds & Nursery Specialist 2 positions. This position performs skilled gardening work in the maintenance of Bellevue College main campus grounds, landscapes, pathways and parking lots. This position will report to the Building & Grounds Supervisor and work independently under general supervision, and will escalate concerns when appropriate. This position also performs tasks requiring knowledge of cultivation and maintenance of lawns, athletic turf, trees and ornamental plants, such as pruning, aerating, fertilizing, transplanting plant material and applying chemicals.
This is a Classified, overtime eligible position and represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees Higher Education (WFSE-HE).
COMPREHENSIVE WAGE AND BENEFIT PACKAGE
We offer comprehensive compensation package with salary and benefits as the main components. Competitive salary is within the Range stated above, and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package is offered through Washington State plans that includes multiple medical, dental, life and disability coverage choices for employees and dependents; choices of retirement and deferred compensation plans; paid holidays, sick, and vacation plans; transit program, reduced tuition, employee discounts and memberships, etc.
For more details about Bellevue College’s excellent employee benefits, please visit Benefits section, next to Description section.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Bellevue College is a diverse student-centered, comprehensive and innovative college, committed to teaching excellence that advances the life-long educational development of its students while strengthening the economic, social and cultural life of its diverse community. Bellevue College is located just 10 miles east of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 44% students of color and over 1,100 international students. The college promotes student success by providing high-quality, flexible, accessible educational programs and services; advancing pluralism, inclusion and global awareness; and acting as a catalyst and collaborator for a vibrant region.
We strive to create a vibrant and inclusive campus community that supports a diverse student body, faculty and staff. As an essential part of our http://www.bellevuecollege.edu/futurevision/core-themes/, diversity, equity and pluralism are promoted and fostered in all aspects of college life. By enriching student life through leadership opportunities, personal learning and cultural experiences, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse campus community that fosters creativity, innovation and student success.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Bellevue College Grounds Crew maintains landscapes and hardscapes at both Main and North Campus. The Grounds Crew supports the College’s mission and goals by carrying an awareness throughout their work with regards to safety, accessibility, inclusivity and sustainability. The Grounds Crew is a large contributor to ensuring the College campus is free of litter and debris and is accessible to pedestrian and vehicular traffic; as well as, ensuring public gathering spaces are well kept and available to the College community. In addition to maintaining an exceptional campus aesthetic the Grounds Crew is also responsible for renovating landscapes to better compliment the native environment and make them more sustainable in maintenance and future development. By collaborating with various groups on campus the Grounds Crew strives to involve multiple perspectives of those on campus and allow for group and interactive projects related to campus grounds; thus, incorporating all the knowledge and experience within the college community to ensure work being done is both transparent and in alignment with the College’s goals.
Landscape Maintenance and Development:
• Regular/routine mowing, trimming, blowing of lawns and planted areas, blowing off parking lots/ roadways/sidewalks/paths/curbs
• Weeding of planted areas, tree pruning and care, bulb planting and flower care, plant bed and soil amendment, equipment maintenance and upkeep, bush and shrub trimming, mulch application/spreading
• Planting transplanting and installations, plant cultivation and propagation, plant bed renovations, plant area development and reconfigurations
• Aid/assist/contribute to landscape design and development of College landscape
Irrigation Troubleshooting and Repair:
• Reviewing irrigation systems to ensure operation is optimal and efficient; setting and checking irrigation clock timers
• Repairing damages to sprinklers/pipes/valves, winterizing irrigation systems on campus upgrading/installing/or modifying irrigation systems to be appropriate for the plant areas being watered
Trash, Recycling, and Litter Control:
• Collecting loose trash around the exterior of campus; changing trash and recycling receptacles around campus exterior
• Cleaning designated smoking areas; monitoring main campus compactor, continual daily effort to minimize litter and monitor waste receptacles
• Pressure washing hard surfaces at ground level and/or on buildings faces/structures, pressure washing moss/mold off of walking surfaces
• Removing/cleaning vandalism to College property, and keeping drains clear
• Assisting with College sponsored events, participation in department events (Hayride, wreath making event and other events)
• Assisting in traffic control for planned and unplanned events, and various tasks as needed to aid in normal campus operations
• Valid Washington State Motor vehicle operator’s license or ability to obtain one within six (6) month of employment
• Possess Washing State Department of Agriculture certification for pesticide application or ability to obtain within one (1) year of employment
• One (1) year experience or training involving grounds maintenance, plant care, or equivalent education and/or experience
• Willingness and capability to work outside in ALL weather conditions
• Physical ability to do the required work (i.e. lift/push/or pull at a minimum 50lbs). Must be able to bend, kneel, and or crouch repeatedly
• Working experience operating commercial lawn mowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, tractors, and other equipment relevant in this field
• Ability to apply to carry out detailed written and/or oral instructions
• Effective problem solving and communication skills
• Ability to comprehend and apply instructions, short correspondence and memorandums
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group settings to other coworkers, other employees of the College, students, and visitors of the College
• Ability to work effectively in small or large groups and independently
• Ability to observe and learn new and different techniques related to the performance and outcomes of work-related tasks
• Ability to use Microsoft Outlook to read and respond to email and electronic work requests
• Experience working in a collaborative team environment with a diverse team and customer groups
• Effective customer service skills
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS
Applications received by 09/14/2021 will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled.
Sexual Misconduct and Background Check:Prior to start of employment, finalists(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check as a condition of employment. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant’s suitability and competence to perform in the position.Applicants considered for this position will be required to disclose if they are the subject of any substantiated findings or current investigations related to sexual misconduct at their current employment and past employment. Disclosure is required under https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=28B.112.080.
How to apply:
Click on the word Apply at the top right corner of the job announcement.
Individuals interested in this position are encouraged to apply. Your application must include a complete online application and all of the required documents below to be considered complete. Any application that does not provide all requested information will be considered incomplete and will not be screened for the position.
• Complete an online Application (note that stating “See Resume” on any section of the online Application will be deemed incomplete)
• Complete the Supplemental Questionnaire
• Attach a Cover Letter
• Attach a Resume
• Attach a Diversity Statement that addresses the following: Please provide specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, demonstrate your commitment to diversity and equity. (max 1 page)
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2463429
Bellevue College is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing equal opportunity and nondiscrimination to applicants and employees without regard to race or ethnicity; creed; color; national origin; sex; marital status; sexual orientation; age; religion; genetic information; the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability; or whether a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran. Please see policy 4100 at www.bellevuecollege.edu/policies/. Applicants with disabilities who require assistance with the recruitment process may contact email@example.com or 425-564-2271. The following people have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies: Title IX Coordinator, 425-564- 2641, Office C227, and EEOC/504 Compliance Officer, 425-564- 2178, Office R130.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.