Full Time, Days.
Pay range is between $15-$21.31/hr, depending on years of relevant and like experience.
Under general supervision, greets, instructs, directs and schedules patients and visitors. Serves as a liaison between patient and medical support staff. This position requires demonstrated competency to care for patients of specific ages as defined in the department’s scope of service and in specific department competency assessments.
Boulder Community Hospital (BCH) Primary Care Physician Clinics are guided by the philosophy of the Patient-Centered Medical Home. The medical home organizes care around patients, while engaging a multidisciplinary Care Team working proactively to coordinate and track care for each individual patient.
Education or Formal Training
High School graduate or GED preferred
Special Qualifications (Licensure, Registration, etc.)
Knowledge, Skill and Ability
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Knowledge of office procedures
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation to type patient information
- Knowledge of Joint Commission regulations and Corporate Compliance program and regulations
- Skill in operating a computer, fax and photocopying machine
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely
- Ability to read, understand, and follow oral and written instruction
- Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetical or numeric system
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees, physicians and the public
- Ability to keep patient information confidential
- Prefer one-year reception experience.
- At least six months coding experience preferred
- Word processing and computer experience preferred
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
Work is performed in reception area or phone room. Involves frequent contact with patients. Work may be stressful at times. Interaction with others is constant and interrupted. Contact involves dealing with sick people.
- May require sitting for long periods of time.
- Stooping, bending, and stretching for files and supplies.
- Occasionally lifting files or paper weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate keyboard, type 45 wpm, operate a calculator, telephone, copier, and other office equipment as necessary.
- Vision must be 20/20 and hearing must be in the normal range for telephone contacts.
- It is necessary to view and type on computer screens for long periods and to work in an environment which can be very stressful.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Consistent and on time attendance is an essential function of the position.
- Greets patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous and helpful manner.
- Checks in patients; verifies and updates necessary information in the medical record and into computer. Checks out patients.
- Collects payments from patients.
- Assists patients with questions about their accounts.
- Calculates superbills.
- Escort patient to exam room or lab when needed.
- Prepares daily deposits for pickup.
- Maintains appointment book, when applicable and follows office scheduling policies.
- Maintains lobby in neat and orderly manner.
- Answers phone, screens calls, takes messages and provides information.
- Files charts, lab work, physicians’ reports, etc.
- Screen visitors and responds to routine requests for information.
- Maintains work area in a neat and orderly manner.
EOE/Affirmative Action/Drug-free workplace