About the Role
In this role you will be collaborating with other specialists within bp’s Innovation & Engineering (I&E) team to develop, validate, and deploy computational methods to digitize geology. The results of your work will be integrated with sophisticated subsurface workflows to assist in the optimal development and production of BP’s oil and gas producing assets.
You will develop and deliver subsurface tools used across the bp portfolio to help deliver business decisions that collect the uncertainty associated with modeling subsurface oil and gas reservoirs. You will need to communicate with a range of subject area specialists (geoscientists, engineers, experimentalists, computer and data scientists) in both I&E and Production & Operations (P&O) to play an active role applying your technical knowledge to the challenges of subsurface.
You can expect to work in the front-end of the innovation having different roles across the business and the innovation teams in the first 3 years of your career at bp.
- With support from other members of I&E, you will contribute to the development of digital geological model and workflow in services of business priorities.
- Apply geological judgment on results of the modeling and improve performance and /or efficiency of the algorithm to address the tool capability and functionality.
- Using your knowledge about geology, especially depositional model and sand/shale/sand interaction (deposition/erosion and baffle and barriers) be able to build a geological concept into 3D simulation models and define uncertainties.
- With support from specialists, integrate geological framework and seismic stratigraphic concepts into a 3D geological model used for uncertainty predictions.
- Work collaboratively with P&O and I&E to identify and provide “out-of-the-box” blue sky ideas that may help predict business uncertainties.
- On a case-by-case basis, bp may support US Immigration sponsorship for full-time or long-term employment
- Must be in final year, graduating by May 2022
- Pursuing a PhD in Earth Science (Geological Sciences, Petroleum Geology) with programming skills (python preferred)
- Be familiar with structural framework model of reservoir to be used for reservoir property modelling.
- Experience mapping 3D seismic volumes, extracting seismic attributes (for example, spec decomposition), mapping faults and seismic facies.
- Have strong coding skills and preferably mathematics or advance statistics knowledge.
- Proven record of working in the field of computational geology as evidenced through publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and external presentations at scientific conferences
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with 3D tools used for visualization, seismic interpretation and modelling
- Familiarity with data analysis and interpretation tools and software such as Petrel, techlog, Coviz