The Sr. Coordinator of College Access Programs (SCCAP) takes charge of planning and implementing programs for BTSV’s 9th and 10th grade students to ensure they are prepared for academic success in college. You’ll work closely with students and families as they navigate the high school years and hold students to high academic and community standards.
During the school year, you’ll provide 1:1 advising to a cohort of students, including monitoring academic progress, setting goals for inside and outside of the classroom, and navigating school and other community resources, to ensure they stay on track for college. When needed, you’ll coordinate with personnel at our partner schools, both to ensure that resources and academic support are provided to students and to build relationships that will deepen our partnership.
You’ll also introduce students and families to the ins and outs to college readiness, through workshops, field trips, and other community-building activities. And you’ll perform the logistical tasks that support this programming, such as scheduling, securing facilities, and arranging transportation as needed.
Over the summer, you’ll lead one of BTSV’s hallmark four-week 9th grade summer program sites for 70+ students, managing a small team to build community and support academic readiness and the transition to high school. You’ll oversee day-to-day operations, serve as the primary point of contact for students and families, and partner with a Dean of Faculty to support BTSV’s Teaching Fellows as they execute our “students teaching students” model. You’ll also supervise BTSV’s summer program interns.
The SCCAP reports to the Senior Director of Programs & Instruction.
What background and skills do you have?:
- At least three years of experience at a youth development or educational organization, particularly one focused on college access for first-generation students and students of color
- Experience with college advising and supporting high school students on the path to college
- Knowledge of and experience with social-emotional learning curricula that supports high school students’ growth
- Comfort with public speaking and the ability to deliver workshops and engage with families in Spanish or Vietnamese
- Commitment to Breakthrough Silicon Valley’s mission and goals as well as a passion for educational equity
- Bachelor’s degree
Bonus points if you’ve got:
- Knowledge of and experience working with public school districts, preferably with high school students
- Experience with curriculum development, data collection and analysis, student assessment, and/or program evaluation
- Experience with Salesforce
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!
Location and Hours
BTSV will be conducting both in-person and virtual programming this fall, and the Sr. Coordinator of College Access Programs will primarily work at our Franklin-McKinley School District office at Bridges Academy (1702 McLaughlin Ave, San Jose, CA 95122). Occasional travel to BTSV’s San Jose Unified School District office at Herbert Hoover Middle School (1635 Park Ave, San Jose, CA 95126) and other partner school sites in San Jose is also required.
BTSV is continually monitoring the COVID-19 situation locally and will follow all state, county, city, and/or school district directives on PPE, social distancing, vaccination, and remote work. As of August 2021, our partner school districts require all individuals on campus to wear masks both indoors and outdoors, regardless of vaccination status, as well as provide proof of vaccination or submit to regular COVID-19 testing. BTSV will continue to comply with our partner school districts’ policies as they evolve.
As BTSV is an “out of school time program,” you can expect to work some early evenings during the school year and early mornings during the summer. You will also need to work occasional weekends to support program events.
Compensation and Benefits
- This is a full-time, exempt position
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health Benefits: Medical, dental, and vision coverage plus life insurance
- Retirement Benefits: 401(k) plan with immediate company match
- Paid time off: 15 days plus 11 holidays and two “shut-down” weeks
- Professional development fund for professional growth and learning opportunities
Apply online at www.breakthroughsv.org/joinourteam. Please indicate where you heard about the position in your cover letter. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
BTSV engages with individuals of all backgrounds and we are committed to embracing diversity within our organization, including developing a team who represents the communities we serve.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, BTSV is committed to providing employment opportunities to all individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.