Are you ready to say “YES!” to joining a talented team of men and women who are serious about having fun and helping kids learn how to be successful in the journey of growing up? Are you ready to be a part of a team that delivers award-winning programming designed to create fun memories where children and youth experience God’s love?
Here’s the truth—working at Camp Sonshine Maryland is tough. It’s not a vacation, nor is it just a job. It’s a mission; a life-changing experience that engages every part of your body, soul, and spirit. Most of our summer counselors will tell you that spending a summer here is one of the most challenging things they’ve ever done. However, they’ll also tell you that every moment was completely worth it. Through serving others, they were able to discover God’s purpose for their lives.
When you say “YES!” to Camp Sonshine, you are not only saying “yes” to making a positive impact on the lives of youth in and around Howard and Montgomery counties, you are also saying “YES!” to…
- Paid Missions
- Intentional Leadership Training
- Life-Changing Community
- Practical Ministry Training
- Group Counselor: Group Counselors (must be 18+ years old) work with a specific group of campers throughout the summer. This position can often vary because of our campers’ range of ages, which starts at age three to 16 years old.
- Program Counselor: Program Counselors (must be 18+ years old) are our resident “creative experts” and an integral part of our team. Program Counselors specialize in one area of activity; they provide campers with the opportunity to try new things, enjoy new challenges, and of course, have fun!
- Support Staff: Our Support Staff are people who make things happen! They’re always ready at a moment’s notice. Behind the scenes or in front, Camp Sonshine couldn’t run without our Support Staff.
- Specialty Camp Staff: Specialty Camp group counselors work with campers who are interested in our specialty camps. This position can often vary because our campers’ range of ages, which starts at 6-16 years old. They are passionate counselors who are interested in STEM, Arts, Wilderness, & Coding! They bring the program to life by creating opportunities for campers to dive into their specialty. This position varies between age groups from 6 year olds to 17 year olds.
- Assistant Counselor (AC): Our Assistant Counselors (Ages 16-17) serve alongside a counselor to help lead groups and activities at our Silver Spring and Germantown Locations. These roles are volunteer-based accompanied by a possible stipend and the AC’s can also receive Student Service Learning hours. This program is designed to create an environment where the AC’s learn independence, develop future skills for staff positions, and gain valuable experience in a professional work environment. The AC’s are exposed to staff evaluations, specialized training, group communication, and leadership skills. While the program is designed to simulate a work environment these roles are not staff positions and are developmentally focused.