CarMax, the way your career should be!
What you’ll do
Support Credit Services Team attorneys in providing legal counsel in the area of consumer credit compliance to CarMax Auto Finance, the sales finance company division of CarMax, and general business support involving consumer affairs, dispute and litigation management, research and project management, contracts and vendor maintenance, sales finance licensing, regulatory affairs, and legislative monitoring.
- Conduct factual research and compile legal information, as directed by supervising attorney.
- Analyze and summarize information gathered and present to supervising attorney.
- Prepare reports, correspondence and other documents for supervising attorney.
- Manage litigation with outside counsel, work directly with customers and/or regulatory agencies regarding dispute filings.
- Assist in the drafting of contracts and/or other legal documentation, as appropriate, at the specific direction of supervising attorney.
- Coordinate the gathering of information from various CarMax Auto Finance departments in the preparation of contracts and other legal documents; review certain contracts and other legal documents to ensure necessary provisions are included, prior to presenting the documents to the supervising attorney for final review.
- As specifically directed by department attorneys, convey routine information to internal customers regarding legal and/or contractual issues as it relates to the day to day operations of the business.
- Act as a liaison with various internal business departments as well as with outside agencies (e.g. track and conduct follow-up on open internal issues and serve as the point of contact for assigned business groups.
- Assist in administration of legal department.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by supervising attorney.
Qualifications and requirements
- Minimum 2 years experience as a paralegal.
- College degree and paralegal certificate preferred.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Proven initiative and creative approaches to problem solving with an eagerness to learn.
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player mentality and ability to build and maintain strong relationships.
- Apply a common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions to deal with a variety of problems in standardized and unique situations.
- Must be able to use functional knowledge while serving as a resource for internal customers.
- Must be able to reason and communicate detailed information to business owners and management team.
- Strong planning and execution skills.
- Balance tactical assignments with long-term goals.
- Must be able to provide “win-win” solutions while resolving customer service issues in a positive and professional manner.
- Use available resources to make decisions using independent and sound judgment.
- Multi-task in a high energy and fast-paced work environment.
- Work effectively under minimum supervision.
- Impeccable ethical standards.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Complete work in accordance with scheduled timelines
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant’s request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.