At CSIS we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups.
The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision-makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS is seeking two full-time, interns to join the Project on Prosperity and Development (PPD) starting in January 2022, one remote and one in-person at CSIS. Internships are seasonal and typically last 4 months with the possibility of extension up to 6 months at the discretion of the program. Applicants should indicate in their cover letter their available start and end dates. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States for the duration of the position. Please note CSIS is a vaccinated facility. To prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce potential risk of exposure in our facility, CSIS requires proof of vaccination from all staff and guests. Interns are primarily responsible for conducting research on international development, development finance, U.S. foreign policy, international organizations, private sector engagement on development, trade issues, and more. Interns also assist with social media efforts and have the option to write a blog post to be published on CSIS Prosper, and assist in event planning and management. Because of the fast-paced work environment, interns should be motivated self-starters with a strong writing background and excellent attention to detail. Candidates should be expected to be at their professional best through the course of this internship and be prepared to work on a diverse set of research topics. The interns will report to the Research Assistant. The intern will be paid at an hourly rate.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
Essential functions may include but are not limited to the following
RESEARCH AND WRITING (60 %)
• Conduct literature reviews and compile and analyze data for ongoing research projects.
• Provide other research, writing, and editing support for various reports and documents.
• Support written products through background research, copy-editing, and editing citations as necessary.
• Collaborate with and support multiple staff members on different research projects on topics ranging from the future of work, forced migration, conflict and stabilization, development finance, quality infrastructure, and other sustainability and capacity building topics in the developing world.
ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES (40 %)
• Manage content on Twitter, Facebook, the CSIS website, and contribute to the program’s development blog, CSIS Prosper.
• Promote PPD’s public events on Twitter in the weeks or days before and live tweet on the day of the event.
• Assist in preparation for meetings, private and public events, and conferences.
• Assist in the preparation of written publications for the publishing process.
• Virtually attend meetings and events to take notes on various topics related to international development in addition to other forms of event support, some of which may be before or after work hours.
• Perform ad hoc requests and other duties as necessary in support of staff members.
Knowledge, education, and experience:
• Bachelor’s degree (or current student) in economics, international development, political science, or a related field.
• Full-time availability for 35 hours/week (required) between early January and early May 2022.
• Demonstrate the ability to take detailed notes during meetings in an effective manner.
• Demonstrate professional communication skills in conversation with colleagues and high-level stakeholders and be able to communicate ideas clearly in various written formats.
• Outstanding attention to detail; proven ability to advance research projects with hands-off supervision while being accountable for the accuracy of outputs.
• Familiarity with creating footnotes in accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style 17th Edition.
• Experience using Twitter and Facebook in a professional capacity.
• Demonstrated understanding of CSIS purpose and function, as well as a familiarity with PPD.
• Flexibility and the ability to manage multiple assignments under tight deadlines while maintaining a positive attitude and sense of humor.
• Prior internship experience and conferencing/event management experience is a plus, although not required.
Physical requirements and work conditions:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee working in an office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit a resumé and cover letter at https://careers.csis.org/.