The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub (“CZ Biohub”) is a nonprofit medical research organization based in the San Francisco Bay Area, operating in partnership with UCSF, UC Berkeley and Stanford University. Our mission is to understand the fundamental mechanisms underlying disease and to develop new technologies that will lead to actionable diagnostics and effective therapies. We harness the power and possibility of collaboration to drive discovery and set the standard for open, impactful science. For more information, please visit czbiohub.org.
As part of a new intramural collaborative effort that spans our Cell Atlas, Infectious Disease, and Technology Initiatives, we seek to comprehensively map how human cells get hijacked and remodeled during viral infection. In this context, we are investing resources and talent in cell biology, live-cell microscopy, biochemistry and genome engineering. One of our goals is to contribute open-source curated datasets that can be re-used by the entire community (see for example https://opencell.czbiohub.org/).
This role will be a key collaborator embedded in our Intracellular Architecture and Mass Spectrometry Platform groups. This is a great opportunity to be part of a collegial multi-disciplinary team that combines genomics, high-throughput live cell imaging, mass-spec proteomics/metabolomics and robotics to decipher disease mechanisms.
We are seeking a Scientist to help establish an experimental and analytical proteomics pipeline to map how viruses remodel infected human cells and dissect associated molecular mechanisms (BSL-2 viral models). In collaboration with others at the Biohub, you will:
- Fractionate, enrich, and isolate cell compartments relevant to infection progression
- Study protein networks using mass spectrometry-based proteomics
- Develop and optimize new mass spectrometry-based analytical techniques
- Analyze datasets
- Author publications
- Mentor junior colleagues
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Developmental Biology or a related field
- Proven track record in mass spectrometry-based analysis of large data sets
- Demonstrable competency in mass spectrometer operation
- Strong knowledge of cell biology, cellular organelles, innate immune responses
- Broad understanding of modern analytical chemistry techniques
- Strong foundation in cell culture and molecular biology
- General enthusiasm for cellular mechanisms, systems biology, and open-source science
- Must be highly collaborative, team-oriented, and have excellent written and oral communication skills
Chan Zuckerberg Biohub requires all employees, contractors and interns, regardless of work location and type of role, to be fully vaccinated and show proof to Human Resources. New CZ Biohub staff must be fully vaccinated within 6 weeks of their start date OR a reasonable accommodation is approved for those that are unable to get vaccinated because of a disability or choose not to be vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief, practice or observance.
- Direct experience with infection models
- Coding experience (Python, R, Matlab or similar languages)
- Previous experience with Bruker tims-TOF platform
- Prior analysis of Ion-Mobility mass spec data
- Experience integrating multi-omic datasets.
This is a full-time opportunity. No contractors, consultancies will not be considered.
What We Provide
- Resources to disrupt and innovate at the frontiers of our knowledge of biology and disease
- A collegial and collaborative environment consisting of diverse expertise
- Existing collaborations within CZ Biohub: Advanced Optical Microscopy, Cell Atlas, Bioengineering, Data Science, Genome Editing, and Infectious Diseases
- Access to collaborators, resources and facilities at the three partner campuses (UCSF, Berkeley and Stanford) and at partner institutions in the Bay Area and beyond
- Competitive compensation and benefits commensurate with the experience
We offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work Biohubbers do everyday. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world’s leading scientists.
CZ Biohub is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all Biohubbers feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. CZ Biohub does not accept unsolicited headhunters and agency resumes. CZ Biohub will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with CZ Biohub.