Job Title: Over-hire Carpenter
Reports to: Scenic Supervisor
Pay Rate: $17 per hour (starting)
Dates of employment: September 6 through December 1, 2021
1. PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Overhire Carpenters will work with the Scenic Supervisor and CST House Carpenters to install, construct, and maintain the scenic elements of Chicago Shakespeare productions. Working as a member of the scenery team, Overhire Carpenters will work collaboratively to load and unload trucks, install and remove scenery, and augment venue configurations. Ability to work safely and follow instruction from the Scenic Supervisor and other CST staff is key.
- Willingness to follow all of CST’s safety guidelines.
- Ability to follow instructions and work as a member of a team.
- Loading and offloading of trucks.
- Assist in the installation, modification, maintenance, and disposal of scenic items in CST venues or alternate performance spaces.
- Fabrication or alteration of scenic elements using a variety of power tools such as drills, saws, and others.
· Perform a variety of physical tasks including but not limited to climbing, stooping, pushing, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, and pulling.
· Work at height in locations including but not limited to catwalks, grids, ladders, and genies.
· Perform a variety of physical tasks while wearing safety equipment including body harness, hardhat, and safety glasses.
· Push, pull, lift, and move up to 50 lbs. at times on a repetitive basis.
· Use of manual dexterity in the operation of tools.
- Will need to work up to ten hours on their feet.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
- Work hours are generally 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday, but may be scheduled earlier or later depending on need.
- Overtime hours will be necessary at times.
- Evening, weekend, and holiday hours will be necessary at times.
- Position will primarily function at the CST facilities on Navy Pier in Chicago, IL but will at times work in other locations such as warehouses.
· Working in a variety of environments including but not limited to construction shops, stages, trap rooms, catwalks and grids, warehouses, exposed loading docks, and outdoors.
· Work environment may be dirty, noisy, in low-light, or in a tight and cramped space.
· Will be exposed, at times, to potentially hazardous materials and equipment.
· Will regularly be required to wear PPE during work activities.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Ability to use basic power and hand tools.
- Knowledge and skill with rough carpentry.
- Willing to learn new skills and procedures.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate honestly on what they know and are comfortable with.
For complete job description and to apply, please use link below: