Want to apply your passion for climate action, racial equity, and relationship-building to mission-driven work? The Office of Sustainability is hiring a Climate Equity Engagement Associate!
This team member will have a central role in implementing the Austin Climate Equity Plan by leading community engagement efforts and the Climate Ambassadors program. This is a one-year temporary position, with a salary range of $20-$30/hr., commensurate with experience.
Currently, much of the work will be done remotely, however, candidates must reside in the central Texas area.
The Office of Sustainability protects and improves Austin’s quality of life now and for future generations by leading efforts to achieve net-zero community-wide greenhouse gas emissions, a healthy and just local food system, and a climate-resilient and adaptive city.
The Austin Climate Equity Plan sets the aggressive direction for net-zero emissions in Austin by 2040. We know that climate change is happening faster than we thought and that the landscape of potential solutions has changed in terms of cost and technology, and that climate solutions can improve everyone’s quality of life, but climate change impacts don’t affect everyone equally. This is why we choose to lead with racial equity and learn from the lived experience of people in our community while exploring solutions to the climate crisis.
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Assists staff in creating and fostering on-going relationships to facilitate community and departmental involvement in the implementation of the Austin Climate Equity Plan
- Recruits and manages a new network of Community Climate Ambassadors.
- Collaborates with climate and public information team to manage educational or outreach events, small projects, contracts, marketing, and on-line literature content to promote climate equity awareness and initiatives.
- Research best practices in community stakeholder engagement nationally and globally and briefs staff on these best practices.
- Maintains a database of community organizations, publications/media outlets, and large events (festivals, sporting events, etc.) to assist with outreach opportunities.
- Maintains an email and phone database of participants in engagement events to inform of past and future opportunities to engage.
- Assists with the facilitation of public dialogues and consensus building to identify and resolve issues between the City and various community stakeholders; assistance may include securing venues, arranging for language interpreters, greeting attendees, and note-taking. May also facilitate such dialogues.
- Assesses various community concerns, values, and opinions on City projects, programs, and initiatives, and presents findings to City staff.
- Assists with maintaining effective relationships with community leaders, City Officials, the media, and the general public.
- Plans community events and meetings with City staff.
- May represent the City at Council meetings, boards and commissions, and community events as needed.
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to the job. Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
To view the full job description or any additional details, please use the external link tool to direct you towards that webpage. No application is complete unless you fully submit an application on the Austin City Jobs webpage.