Have a passion for sports and direct knowledge of the game and league rules of soccer? Then this is a great part time, seasonal opportunity for you! The City of Des Moines Parks and Recreation is hiring referees for the upcoming 2021 Youth Soccer Season.
Open Until Filled
Fully complete the City’s online application and attach your resume at https://desmoineswa.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
$15.00 – $20.00 per hour, DOE
The Youth Soccer program serves youth in Kindergarten through 4th grade. Soccer Referees work under the supervision of the Assistant Recreation Manager and in tandem with the Coaches and Scorekeepers to coordinate a successful recreation program.
Extra-hire positions during the season from August through November. Option to also work December through March for basketball season as well.
The hours are typically from 4 to 10 hours per week including evenings and weekends, and are dependent upon program needs. These positions are not eligible for benefits.
Essential Job Functions
- Officiates youth soccer games in accordance with rules and procedures for each specific youth soccer division.
- Assists in putting away game day equipment and supplies. .
- Control games in a confident and appropriate manner.
- Ensure all participants comply with league rules.
- Make and sell calls with confidence and knowledge of league rules.
- Assist in emergency procedures.
- Make sure teams have appropriate equipment, etc.
- Keep records including, but not limited to, incident/accident reports, timecards, and communication with the Assistant Recreation Manager.
Education and Experience:
- Previous experience refereeing and working with children and/or teens preferred.
- Must be 15 years of age
- Must obtain First Aid/CPR Card within 30 days of employment.
- Employment is contingent upon passing a criminal history background check.
- Because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge soccer and the Des Moines Recreation Youth soccer rules and program expectations specific to each youth soccer division.
- Ability to work in tandem with other referees where appropriate and with scorekeepers and coaches to ensure the game is being managed and played according to league rules.
- Ability to recognize and correct safety hazards.
- Effective oral communication skills with players.
- Ability to maintain control of the game at all times.
- Ability to referee in an instructional manner with players of all ages.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with participants, players, coaches and spectators.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds to put away chairs and clean up after matches.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule; hours are subject to change
Work Environment and Physical Abilities
- Outdoor work environment. The ability to travel to off-site program locations is required. The position requires the ability to speak and hear to exchange information, sit for extended periods of time, run, bend, stretch and lift up to 50 pounds.
- The City defines an “extra-hire employee” as one who is appointed to a position that is not eligible for benefits except those mandated by law or regulations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.
- The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions for this job, the level of knowledge, skills and abilities typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or to balance the workload.
- The City of Des Moines is a drug-free, tobacco-free workplace.
- The provisions of this job announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.