Senior Accounting Associate (.75 FTE)
Minimum Salary: $31.20 per hour
Maximum Salary: $36.70 per hour
Open until filled. (Open to current employees and the general public.)
The Senior Accounting Associate position performs a variety of paraprofessional accounting duties that impact city-wide financial records. This position will assist professional accounting staff with monitoring and processing complex financial activities and ensuring compliance with legal requirements, union contracts, policies and procedures.
Below is a listing of some of the key duties of the position:
- Assists in preparation of annual financial report
- Coordinates with employees in multiple departments to verify that assigned accounts are balanced on a regular basis.
- Prepares and maintains all documentation required to support assigned grants.
- Provides annual reconciliation of assigned grants for State Auditor.
- Analyze, research and make recommendations on accounting rules/uniform guidance in support of activities using American Rescue Plan Act funds.
- Ensure that departments complete all required paperwork and adhere to all grant requirements and provide uniform guidance in activities used for grant reimbursement.
- Co-ordinate the compilation of all spreadsheets and documentation required for submitting of grant reimbursements.
- Organize documentation to ensure comprehensive audit ready files that meet all grant requirements and uniform guidance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills Knowledge & Abilities
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently with attention to details.
- Knowledge of general accounting and fund accounting, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ability to create complex spreadsheets.
- Ability to operate automated financial software and timekeeping system and document management system.
- Ability to perform complex reconciliations using a variety of data sources.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment such as calculator, typewriter, and personal computer.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and communicate sensitively and effectively with employees and co-workers.
- Ability to understand and implement laws, regulations and labor contracts related to payroll processing.
- Ability to work under pressure and/or continual interruptions, and to deal with a variety of deadlines of both an immediate and flexible nature.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public and other employees, both verbally and in writing.
Hours of Work
M – F 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position opportunity requires a cover letter (letter of interest) and resume for consideration of application. Please note how you meet minimum qualifications within that letter. While final selection will not occur until after closing, screening and interviews will commence prior to the closing date.
This opportunity includes a full benefit package: medical/dental vision for employee and dependents, deferred compensation plan, 2x annual salary life insurance, vacation and sick leave accruals, paid holidays, free on-site parking, on site work-out facility.
AA degree in accounting or related field and 5 years of experience in bookkeeping/accounting/payroll processing in a union environment or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience with automated financial management/payroll systems and public sector accounting rules preferred.
Working Conditions & Physical Activities
Work is generally performed in an office setting and will include standing and sitting for long intervals of time. Positions in this class typically require stooping, kneeling, reaching, sitting, mobility, fingering, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions. Work is typically sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
This position is represented by the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees Union (AFSCME) .
Applicants who are invited to participate in the test and/or interview process will be notified by phone or email.