ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Works under the supervision of Memphis Police Academy staff to grasp concepts and perform a wide range of tasks which promote public safety and security. Performs general enforcement of the laws including patrolling assigned areas, apprehending and controlling suspects, and controlling traffic, writing reports, providing public information, maintaining records and material evidence, and providing court testimony. Attends training classes as required and meets mandatory training requirements. Exercises and comprehends rules, regulations, and policies of the MPD Training Academy and applicable federal, state, and local laws. Executes basic criminal investigation principles, practices, and techniques for use in patrol-related activities. Exercises and uses basic interview skills to obtain information from suspects, victims, and witnesses. Learns to operate a patrol vehicle and uses appropriate weapons/equipment associated with law enforcement in a safe manner. Grasps and applies defensive tactic techniques in controlling and apprehending suspects. Applies minimal levels of force to control subjects in patrol-related situations to ensure the safety of the officer and of the general public. Recognizes controlled substances and how to request assistance in handling materials and paraphernalia. Learns to provide first-aid assistance to those in need during emergency situations. Demonstrates critical thinking to solve problems in patrol-related situations. Maintains tact and courtesy when interacting with various individuals and confidentiality when working with law-enforcement sensitive information.
- Performs additional functions (essential or otherwise) which may be assigned.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Requires the ability to traverse uneven terrain. Requires the ability to perform physically demanding work which includes bending, stooping, crouching, sitting, standing, running, navigating in confined spaces, lifting and carrying heavy items weighing up to 100 lbs. with or without assistance. Must have the physical agility to maneuver a dead weight object up to 175 lbs. for training purposes. Must have the strength and dexterity to perform defensive tactics and successfully complete firearms training. Must be able to operate and use law enforcement tools and equipment, including but not limited to: weapons, handcuffs, vehicles, computers, and other technological devices.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Requires working in a classroom setting with exposure to inclement weather conditions during training. May include rotating shifts and holidays. Potentially hazardous conditions may exist during defensive tactics, weapons training, and defensive driving. Requires the use of protective gear when necessary.
- An Associate’s degree or fifty-four (54) semester hours obtained from a regionally accredited college of university, recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (e.g. MSCHE, NECCU, NCA, etc.)
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree, majoring in Criminal Justice, from a nationally accredited college or university; recognized by the U. S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. (e.g. DETC, COE, ACCSC, etc.)
- Two (2) years of cumulative active military service stipulated on a DD Form 214 with an honorable discharge and high school diploma or GED.
- Five (5) years of reserve military service or national guard as stipulated on DD Forms 256 and/or 214 and a high school diploma or GED.
- Five (5) years of full-time responsible, verifiable work experience and a high school diploma or GED (Special Requirement: Applicants who qualify under this stipulation must obtain an Associate’s degree within four (4) years of date of employment.
- Must not have been convicted of, or pled guilty (or enter a plea of Nolo Contendere) to any felony charges.
- Must be at least 21 years of age upon completion of the Police Basic Training Program.
- Must successfully pass entry level requirements and testing (physical, written, background investigation, psychological and medical) for Police Recruit.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver license as a condition for continued employment.
- Posting Date: May 17, 2021
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 41,802.8
- Pay Basis: Yearly