Description/Duties & Responsibilities
PTS Office Assistant, Clerk & Contract Services
$15.02 – $17.44
(anticipated range depending on experience)
The City is currently recruiting for a part-time, temporary, seasonal (PTS) employee to provide a wide range of clerical support for the Clerk & Contract Services Division in the Administrative Services Department. This position is responsible for performing general clerical work, including answering telephones and providing customer service to the public and other clerical duties as assigned.
This position is expected to work a flexible schedule, four days per week, based out of City Hall with an estimated 20 hours per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs as City Hall receptionist, including accepting filings on behalf on the City; answering main switchboard and directing callers; receiving public inquiries over the counter and directing members of the public as appropriate; maintaining logs; and tracking mail and packages
• Responds to inquiries and complaints, including assisting difficult and upset customers with questions and problems by email, phone, and in-person; provides information about City programs and procedures
• Assists with special projects, events, programs, and meetings, including coordinating location sites; preparing and distributing materials; and set up
• Establishes positive working relationships with members of the community, community organizations, state/local agencies, City management, and staff
• Provides records management functions, including assisting with on- and offsite records storage and destruction; performing scanning, indexing, and quality control; and various filing functions
• Utilizes various software programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Laserfiche, and Infolinx
• Proofreads and edits correspondence and various documents as needed
• May be required to work past scheduled work hours, as needed
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience
• High School Diploma or a GED equivalent
• One year of clerical support experience in a fast-paced, professional, and customer-service oriented environment
• Customer Service Experience is highly desirable
• Bilingual in English and Spanish is desirable
Knowledge and Abilities
• Knowledge of basic math, business English, spelling, and a strong understanding of grammar and punctuation rules; and the ability to correctly proofread and edit correspondence
• Strong customer skills and the ability to provide excellent customer service to employees and the public, including the ability to handle conflicts and complaints
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to remain poised and maintain a professional appearance
• Strong attention to detail and the ability to produce work that is accurate, thorough, and complete
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel, and the ability to learn and use new software programs
• Ability to provide excellent customer service to staff and the public, including handling conflicts and complaints
• Ability to manage time effectively, coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, work in an environment with constant interruptions, consistently meet deadlines, and be flexible to changing priorities
• Strong work ethic and the ability to appropriately handle sensitive information using professional judgment and confidentiality
• The ability to lift, drag, and push files, paper, and documents weighing up to 25 pounds
An online completed City application form is required to apply for this position. All employment information must be provided on the application. Providing a resume is not a substitute for completing this section of the application. Applications left incomplete or with a reference to attachments may be rejected. The selection process will include one or more of the following: written exam, technical knowledge assessment, writing skill assessment, and/or oral interviews that may be conducted in person and/or via video conferencing. Applicants that meet minimum qualifications and are selected for interviews will be required to disclose information regarding criminal convictions. If you require special accommodations to participate in the application/selection process, please notify Human Resources for assistance.
All offers of employment with the City of Santa Clarita are made contingent upon receipt of proof of legal right to work in the United States and Department of Justice fingerprinting. Criminal offender information will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. The City uses the E-Verify program to electronically confirm work authorization of newly hired employees.
As a City of Santa Clarita public employee, you may be called upon to work as a Disaster Service Worker (DSW) in the event of an emergency (in accordance with Government Code §§ 3100-3109). Before entering upon the duties of employment, all public employees, except those excluded by law, take and subscribe to an oath or affirmation set forth in the California Constitution, declaring them to be Disaster Service Workers in time of need.
In addition, part-time, temporary, and seasonal (PTS) employees may be required to participate in the DMV Employer Pull-Notice Program. This program authorizes the City to receive a driver record report upon enrollment and during employment.
Part-time, temporary, and seasonal (PTS) workers are at-will. Generally, PTS employees are limited to no more than 999 hours per fiscal year.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
First Review of Applications: September 21, 2021 @ 12:00 p.m. (noon)
The City of Santa Clarita is an Equal Opportunity Employer.