The City of Tigard is currently recruiting for a pool of Senior On-Call Recreation Aides to assist our recreation program with after-school programs in the Tigard-Tualatin School District. Tigard’s Recreation Department provides a multitude of recreational opportunities through programs, events, parks, and natural areas for all ages and abilities, ensuring that Tigard is a desirable place to work and play. Tigard Recreation’s fun, engaging, and healthful program development provides the ability for community members to engage and connect to the city’s strategic plan by setting a high standard of excellence in public service and creating a well-connected, attractive, and accessible pedestrian network.
Senior Recreation Aides work in an on-call status to assist the Recreation Coordinator in hosting, planning, implementing, promoting, and evaluating recreation programs, classes, and special events. This work includes leading program participants in a variety of recreational activities, whether that be special events or after school programs. While there is a range of recreation services in Tigard, this position will focus primarily on our Middle School After School Program. The Middle School After School Program will focus on providing instructional sports and cooking classes to students. The After School Program is yearlong and it is imperative that we hire high quality staff to help successfully run this program.
The City of Tigard values diverse perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences. We are committed to building a workforce of diverse voices to impact decision making, drive growth, and better serve our community. We strongly encourage those wanting to work with and serve diverse populations to apply. We would love for you to consider joining Team Tigard.
Please review the Senior Recreation Aide classification for additional details.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assist with special event and activity logistics including setup, break down, and cleanup.
- Lead program curriculum and activities that are appropriate to the age, interest, and developmental level of participants. This includes leading a variety of sports and cooking classes for students in the Tigard-Tualatin School District. Collaborate with and assist teammates in designing and implementing after school activities to encourage youth’s intellectual, creative, and athletic abilities. This will include creating lesson plans for after school activities.
- Provide careful and concentrated supervision of youth to ensure safety and learning.
- Perform customer service functions including providing information about programs, rules, and regulations through communication over the telephone and in person.
After School Programs:
- Tuesday & Thursday (Oct-June) 3:00-5:00 p.m.
- Additional Dates will become available
Minimum Education/Experience Requirements:
Any combination of training and experience, which would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities, to perform the essential functions of the position, may be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a customer service or recreation setting.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Basic First Aid and CPR, must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within 60 days of hire date
Union Representation: This on-call position is not represented by a union.
Schedule: After school program workers will be scheduled approximately 6-12 hours per week primarily on weekday afternoons. Exact schedule is to be determined.
How to apply: Please apply online. We do not accept applications via email. Applications must be received by Human Resources by the closing time/date. This position is open until filled.
The monthly salary range for this position is $14.83-$19.39 per hour. The starting pay assignment, based on an analysis of the successful candidate’s related experience and education in accordance with the City’s pay equity policy and the Oregon Equal Pay Act, would be no higher than $17.95 per hour.
IMPORTANT (Please read): In lieu of resumes and cover letters, the City of Tigard evaluates each applicant’s work history and responses to supplemental questions. Please complete the application and answer the supplemental questions thoroughly to ensure our subject matter experts can appropriately evaluate your experience.
ATTENTION VETERANS: To receive veteran’s preference, please upload your DD214/Separation documentation.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement: The City of Tigard is considering a COVID-19 vaccination mandate in which most City employees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you may be required to submit proof of vaccination. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees and finalists may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation. For those who have experienced barriers in accessing a COVID-19 vaccine, Tigard’s HR team will assist in any way possible.
Per ORS 433.416, law enforcement officers are exempt from this requirement.