The City of Wheaton is currently searching for a forward-thinking Superintendent who can lead the Forestry Division of the Public Works Department. This position is responsible for overseeing the care and maintenance of over 21,000 City trees and the Public Grounds unit which is responsible for the care and maintenance of numerous public green spaces City-wide.
Essential Job Functions:
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
§ Assist the Director of Public Works in developing long-term division plans and objectives, maintain current knowledge of public works developments/techniques, and assist in the preparation and administration of the annual budget.
- Develop divisional procedures and policies to meet City, State, and Federal guidelines and ensure efficient operations.
- Oversee ongoing projects which includes identifying diseased trees and infestations for proper disposition along with the sanitation program for Emerald Ash Borer and Dutch Elm Disease.
- Plan, schedule and prioritize the pruning of 3,500 trees and removal of 250 trees per year on the City’s Right of Way
- Monitor and keep the parkway tree inventory updated.
- Administer shared cost tree planting program and order trees.
- Respond to inquiries, complaints, or requests from residents regarding divisional programs or services.
- Hire, train, assist employees, enforce City and Department policies, establish performance standards using best management practices, and discuss individual job performance with subordinates, provide effective performance evaluations and other advice, counseling, or discipline when necessary.
- Inspect work in-progress and completed projects to ensure the proper work tools, equipment, and safety precautions are being used and followed.
- Coordinate the response to emergency situations including 24-hour emergency call-back situations.
- Monitor contracts and act as a liaison to contractors for Seasonal Color and maintenance, tree planting, Streams and Butterfield Rd maintenance.
- Oversee contract for aquatic pesticide application for Streams and Windsor Creek.
- Coordinate with community partners and internal departments to plan for Special Events and initiatives.
- Ensure safe work methods are utilized in all operations; provide safety education and training where appropriate; and support departmental and City safety goals and objectives.
- Take personal responsibility to provide exceptional customer service to promote and maintain a positive City image, constructive working environment, and foster pride and professionalism in the workplace and community.
- Administer all Forestry related FOIA requests to insure all legal and statutory timeline requirements are met.
Other combinations of education and experience which could provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform this job may be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in Urban Forestry, Arboriculture, or another related field required.
- Five years’ experience in urban forestry or related activity.
- Three years of progressively responsible supervisory experience.
- General computer skills required and prior experience with GIS systems preferred.
- Knowledge of Tree City USA Program requirements.
- Proficient knowledge in Microsoft Office products, record keeping, and database management.
- Thorough knowledge of ANSI Z133 Safety Requirements for Arboricultural Operations.
- Valid International Society of Arboriculture Certification required
- Valid Driver’s License required, CDL Preferred.
Salary: Starting rate of pay is dependent upon qualifications. The City of Wheaton also offers a competitive benefit package including excellent health insurance plans, participation in Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), and a comprehensive wellness program.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a completed application and/or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org