Summary: Researches, analyzes, experiments, studies, and develops products using principles of chemistry. Develops performance-enhancing materials and solutions for zero slump concrete products. Examines chemical compounds to determine how they interact with other chemicals, conducting experiments and utilizing advanced lab equipment and computers to analyze results, determine next steps, or determine if goals have been satisfied.
As a Product Development Chemist you will be creating a link between the market customer requirements, potential technology, and product solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Prepare compounds, test solutions and reagents to conduct tests and experiments, then advising and coordinating on test procedures.
· Determine the relationships of chemical and physical properties, composition, structures and reactions of organic and inorganic compounds using chromatography, spectrophotometry and spectroscopy techniques.
· Develop, improve and customize equipment, products, formulas, analytical methods and processes
· Consult with engineers and scientists on analysis, interpretation and development of tests
· Induce reactions to chemical substances with light, energy, heat and chemical catalysts
· Document findings in technical papers and reports, preparing specifications and testing
· Lead technical feasibility studies including literature and patent landscaping as well as intellectual asset strategy development and implementation.
· Support product claims substantiation activities for market launch collateral.
· Develop and demonstrate professional expertise and experience internally through internal technical reports, customer visits and technical conferences.
· Use scientific method to bring forth new opportunities for growth.
Non-Essential Job Functions
· Willing to attempt new assignments or fill in for others as needed; accomplishes other duties as assigned
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, skills and/or abilities:
a. Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
b. Written and Oral Communication
c. Project/Process Management
Investigate adding gasses in both dissolved and bubble form to water and/or other liquids assisting to create solutions for things such as:
1) Finding beneficial results of admixes on dissolved gas and bubble concentrations
2) Creating stable high dissolved gas concentrations
3) Creating stable high bubble (gaseous) concentrations
4) PH levels and the effect on gas absorption
5) Short term solution storage and stability
6) Effects of mechanical mixing and/or shock when added to solids, and other things related to use in making concrete.
7) Search for several potential benefits related to certain gasses being added to a concrete mix.
Innovation: Must be able to define experimental plan and design experiments to optimize/develop product as well as generates and implement ideas to improve/optimize experimental routes.
Customer Focus/Business Awareness: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers and can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods.
Technical Leadership: Hold the technical knowledge and skills (including safety practices) to do the job at a high level of accomplishment and is able to sue this to accurately plan and scope tasks, with scheduling of activities driven by timelines and complexity of the technical challenge.
Integrity and Trust: Demonstrated high level of integrity, thoroughness, creativity, flexibility and initiative.
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry required.
· 5 years industrial chemical processes in engineering
· Chemical admixture experience
· Experience in the material synthesis of small molecules, polymeric materials, and/or experience organometallic catalysis and chemical method development is required.
· Analytical characterization of materials including evaluation of materials in basic application prototypes is required.
· Experience in material formulation, development, scale up to pilot manufacturing environment and product development is highly desired.