The Duke Human Vaccine Institute (DHVI) continues to lead cutting edge vaccine research against infectious diseases that impact global health. Basic science discoveries made using a variety of human and pathogen-derived proteins, designed, expressed and purified by a collaborative DHVI team have contributed to the identification of vaccine and therapeutic candidates currently being produced in Good Manufacturing Practice facilities for early phase clinical trials.
The Viral Genetic Analysis (VGA) service center/core at the DHVI provides sequencing (NGS and Sanger) and genomic technologies to serve the needs of the DHVI, Duke Center for AIDS Research, Duke University and external collaborators. VGA service center is looking for a Lab Research Analyst I who will be responsible for experimental design, execution and data analysis for studies performed using next generation sequencing platforms, as well as daily maintenance of the service center’s next generation sequencers, capillary sequencers, purification robot and other instruments.
The analyst will work closely with senior lab staff and the Principal Investigator (PI) to carry out multiple tasks to further the research using multiple sequencing and molecular biology approaches for various projects.
The analyst will perform the following (but not limited to) core-related tasks in the DHVI Viral Genetics and Analysis (VGA) Service center
- Perform and ensure high quality next-generation, single cell and Sanger sequencing, troubleshoot sequencing problems and identify resolutions.
- Project consultation and study designs and sequencing run performance/ troubleshooting
- Perform molecular biology assays such as PCR, site-directed mutagenesis, DNA preparation.
- Take initiatives to conceive, design and carry-out hypothesis driven feasibility experiments, understanding both theoretical and practical aspects of the experimental design.
- Apply advanced and expert scientific knowledge to sequencing assay development and optimize newer technologies for use in the core. Compile, analyze, document, and draw tentative conclusions from experimental results. Confer with the PI/manager to review work assignments and develop plans for research experiments.
- Lead wet-lab experimentation and subsequent data analysis/interpretation activities
- Make modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular project.
- Inform users about the sequencing and purification results, potential delays, technical problems, or any other related issues.
- Work interactively with Lab Director, Lab manager and bioinformaticians.
- Understand and comply with all safety standards and procedures to ensure a safe working environment for all laboratory staff.
- Perform routine lab maintenance, cleaning, organizing, and restocking supplies.
- Includes keeping lab equipment, chemicals reagents and supplies in excellent order.
- Collaborate with other staff and perform other duties as requested by the Principal Investigator/Manager or senior lab staff.
Preferred Education, Skills, & Experience
- A masters in biological sciences with preferred background in molecular biology, virology and/or immunology.
- Expertise in sequencing platforms and technologies is preferred.
- Experience with single cell genomics is desired.
- Must be team oriented and able to work in a highly collaborative and interactive work environment to complete complex tasks
- Must be able to manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities and have ability to quickly learn new skills
- Must be detail-oriented, well organized and have excellent oral and written communication skills
Required Qualifications at this Level
- Education/Training: Work requires a bachelor’s degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
- Experience: Work requires two years of research experience. A related master’s degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master’s degree in lieu of two years of experience. OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE