Coordinates and implements objectives, processes and programs in the area of safety and occupational health that directly support the cooperative strategic direction, as determined by the Central Safety Committee. Ensures that Plant leaders and employees are trained and equipped to manage all safety and occupational health responsibilities. Works in conjunction with Corporate Safety and the safety Process Improvement Teams to ensure compliance with all applicable safety, government and industry regulations. Additional duties include serving as an active member of the site safety committee, assisting in safety related incident investigations, injury management, reporting, record keeping and assisting line management as needed in the areas of safety and occupational health. The chief goal of the position is to ensure a safe and healthy working environment for all employees of the cooperative.
· Promotes awareness of potential impacts resulting from emerging safety and health issues
· Promotes awareness of regulatory requirements or best practices in the areas of corporate, ethical and social responsibility.
· Serves as liaison to local regulatory agency representatives.
· Recommends, within reason, the best way to apply engineering or administrative controls to abate a safety or health hazard and when appropriate, recommends the best available Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for employees.
· Maintains records and prepares reports associated with safety and occupational health regulations and standards. These reports include injury and incident reports.
· Reviews current occupational health and safety policies, procedures and programs. Recommends needed changes and participates in the writing and communication of needed revisions.
· Conducts inspections, audits and analysis in areas related to safety and occupational health. Maintains records of findings and prepares reports that summarize the information and suggest possible areas of improvement.
· Responds to various emergencies in the area of safety and occupational health, coordinates rescue or abatement activities as dictated by the situation.
· Conducts plant/field visits to ensure effective systems are maintained for the identification, assessment and control of all significant hazards. Carries out examinations of machinery, housekeeping and employee tasks. Takes measurements of ambient air quality, noise and heat levels. Recommends methods to eliminate any undesirable discoveries.
· Oversees programs that affect employee safety and health such as: medical surveillance, hearing conservation, asbestos abatement, air monitoring, etc.
· Prepares, conducts and/or facilitates required training classes for management and employees.
· Ensures all safety related incidents, including injury, first aid and near misses are reported, investigated, that a root cause is determined and effective action is taken to prevent the incident from reoccurring.
· Stays abreast of all current occupational health & safety regulations and requirements to help ensure compliance.
· Identifies both short-term and long-range goals for the occupational health and safety program with consideration for all regulatory requirements.
· May provide support to outside organizations by coordinating, preparing and presenting programs and workshops or assisting with training activities
· Effectively and respectfully interacts and communicates with all levels of the organization.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Safety or other related area preferred. Associate degree in related area required. Any equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute. Certification in the following areas preferred: CSP, CPR & First Aid, EMT, CLCP, HAZWOPER
Experience: (5) Five years of related experience preferred. Experience in the Electrical Utility Industry very helpful
Skills and Abilities:
- Good working knowledge of OSHA, including 1910.269 which relates to policies and procedures in the electric utility industry, as well as other government agency safety and occupational health regulations.
- Ability to analyze information and solve problems
- Work in a team environment as well as independently
- Manage time effectively and prioritize tasks and projects
- Function effectively in stressful situations
- Must possess effective communication skills, including the ability to effectively speak in large groups.
- Ability to interact with personnel at all levels of the organization with confidence, respect and integrity.
- Ability to develop and administer specific training programs, policies and procedures in a manner consistent with EKPC’s management philosophy and stated objectives.
- Strong computer skills, familiar with Office Suite (Word, Power Point, Excel, etc.) Must possess the ability to both write and review procedures and policy.
- Must be medically certified to wear respiratory protection: including but not limited to: dust mask, half mask, PAPR and SCBA.
- Safety Awareness
- Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills
- Contributing to Team Success
- Managing Work
Conditions of Employment
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Position includes travel to various locations throughout the EKPC system to complete work assignments.
- This is an on call position that may require working weekends, holidays or after normally scheduled working hours as needed.
- Conditions may include extreme weather and/or temperatures, extremely dusty conditions, heights, and corrosively wet conditions.