REPORTS TO: Chief Academic Officer
Education for Change is looking for dynamic and visionary remote teachers who will engage students and families in remote learning activities while on Independent Study. The teacher provides virtual instruction and differentiated support to students based on their learning needs. They engage community partners and families in serving the whole child and ensuring ALL children achieve at high levels prepared to succeed in any setting. They know how to successfully work in a remote setting and collaborate with team members at schools that serve a high English Learner and low-income population.
EFC believes that high-quality instruction, and its continuous refinement, will lead to success for our students. We are looking for remote teachers to support students in short-term Independent Study in the following ways:
- Navigate Aeries to determine language preferences and contact information for families of students on Independent Study (IS) and prepare for initial outreach.
- Maintain communication via phone and Zoom (in both English & Spanish) to families of students going on Independent Study and explain the details and timeline of the process.
- Establish and maintain a positive, safe, and supportive virtual environment that values learning and achievement.
- Monitor student progress and keep a record of all assignments that have or have not been completed throughout the Independent Study contract, using reports from the Director of Data and assignments posted on Google Classroom/Seesaw.
- Communicate with families if several days pass without the child completing work and assist in getting them back on track.
- Help students & families troubleshoot technology issues.
- Collaborate with each school site and work with colleagues as a team to achieve shared goals.
- Certify and share with site leads how many days of work were completed at the end of the student’s Independent Study
- Support students with making up any Independent Study work that was not completed once they return to school, as needed.
- Communicate with Point Person from each school as needed.
- Support the mission, vision, and core values of Education for Change.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Valid California Multiple Subject Teaching Credential or ability to attain one based on out of state certification
- CLAD, BCLAD, or English Language Learner Authorization
- Must possess a growth mindset and be able to use feedback to refine practice
- Demonstrate respect and understanding of students and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience with Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports, a plus
- Experience using Zoom, Google Classroom and other instructional technologies, a plus
- Experience accelerating student learning and achievement in low-income communities
- Spanish language proficiency
- Experience and desire to use data and technology as levers to drive instruction
- California resident
Compensation & Benefits
Part-time at the teacher’s hourly rate ($35.99-$60.99 DOE); participation in STRS.
EFC Core Values
- Connected- We continually work to build trusting relationships among students, families, staff, and the Oakland community at large. We are an all-hands-on-deck network driven by empathy. We value our collective identity and the individual identities of our community members and scholars such that we have a sense of collective ownership and responsibility for each other and for our scholars.
- Inclusive- We proactively disrupt predictable patterns of opportunity, power, privilege, and performance. We create an inclusive environment where multiple perspectives are not only valued but sought, where people from all backgrounds feel seen and heard and can thrive, and where we all feel a deep sense of accountability to our mission.
- Interdependent- Our success at every level is dependent on our individual and collective sustainability. To that end, we are transparent, creative, and collaborative problem-solvers who seek to build trusting relationships. We are curious and are open to new ideas while also putting systems in place to ensure continuity so that our employees can stay, grow, thrive, and help make good on our promise to our students and families.
- Learners- We support each other to develop and grow so that we can leverage our collective power, intelligence, and passion on behalf of our students. We lean on home-grown leaders who are rooted in our community. Individuals feel known and are provided opportunities to maximize their potential in alignment with their passions and goals.