***Salary to be commensurate with qualifications***
Salary Range: $48,100 – $69,640 annually
Typical Hiring Range: $58,131.84 – $59,875.92 annually
Salary Range: $51,500 – $77,220 annually
Typical Hiring Range: $61,038.64 – $62,869.82 annually
Performs clinical public health nursing services in department clinics. Provides immunizations, pre-travel consultation services, placement and reading of tuberculosis (TB) skin tests and education for individuals, families and community groups. This position is part of the Public Health Nurse – Immunizations and Travel career progression series, which includes Public Health Nurse I – Immunizations and Travel and Public Health Nurse II – Immunizations and Travel. An employee is eligible to advance to the next position within the series when the employee has met the criteria for advancement as notated within the job description and has received a recommendation from the Hiring Authority.
- Manages clinic activities, providing health and history assessment, disease prevention, and health promotion activities.
- Screens and assesses clients for recommended pediatric and adult immunization services based on standard immunization schedules, itinerary, contraindications, and precautions.
- Tailors vaccine recommendations and delivery of services based on client needs.
- Prepares, measures, and administers immunizations to clients in clinic setting; counsels clients about vaccine reactions and effectiveness; assesses for immediate reactions to vaccines.
- Administers TB skin tests and interprets results.
- Provides education to individuals, groups, and health care providers with information regarding vaccine-preventable diseases, vaccines, tuberculosis, and health maintenance activities.
- Maintains records, files, data collection, and prepares correspondence.
- Responds to inquiries from the public, community partners, and providers.
- Counsels travelers of all ages regarding disease risks and vaccine requirements/recommendations specific to destination, as well as general safe travel practices.
- Provides expert Public Health Nursing consultation in the community and department. Articulates the mission of public health and develops partnerships to accomplish department goals. Interprets rules and regulations to sub-groups in the community.
- Participates in departmental emergency planning and response activities.
- Promotes public health within the community.
- Takes personal responsibility to provide exceptional customer service in order to promote and maintain a positive Public Health image, constructive working environment, and foster pride and professionalism in the workplace and community.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) required.
- One (1) year of nursing experience preferred.
- To qualify for a Public Health Nurse II – Immunizations & Travel:
- Master’s degree in Nursing (MSN) or Master’s degree in Public Health (MPH) preferred.
- Two (2) years of nursing experience required.
- Knowledge of vaccine preventable diseases (to include TB), vaccines, immunization schedules and travel medicine pre-consultation.
- Ability to communicate, motivate, and organize projects among a broad spectrum of personnel, frequently under deadline pressure.
- Skill in demonstrating a cooperative, professional attitude to cultivate relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Skill in prioritizing and organizing multiple tasks and the ability to complete projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to respond in a flexible manner and reprioritize work as situations change.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment by taking appropriate actions regarding questionable findings or concerns.
- Ability to identify problems and work creatively to develop resolutions and recommend corrective actions to supervisor, considering the impact of actions on Public Health.
- Ability to identify results of efforts and problems identified/potential problems and to develop and recommend corrective actions to supervisor.
- Knowledge and understanding of company policies and procedures.
- Ability to write and maintain accurate records and reports to meet management objectives.
- Ability to maintain the security of sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Skill in training and presentation.
- Ability to perform under pressure and when confronted with persons acting under stress.
- Ability to work in an environment with potential exposure to infections, blood, and contagious diseases.
- Skill in using a personal computer and various software packages including Microsoft Office.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Must pass conditional post offer background investigation, motor vehicle check, drug screen, and physical examination.
- Must have current Registered Nurse licensure to practice in the State of Colorado; nurses with compact licensure must meet all licensure requirements set forth by the Colorado Board of Nursing within ninety (90) days of employment.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver’s License.
- Must possess and maintain a valid CPR Certification.
Work environment may include potential exposure to infections, blood, and contagious diseases; potential exposure to pets, second hand smoke and other environmental hazards. Some travel may be required; work may be assigned in various locations. Must be able to safely lift and carry up to 25 pounds and bend at waist or knees to get down to child’s level. Public Health employees are responsible for providing proof of vaccinations and/or tuberculosis testing as applicable to the specific position and must provide proof of completion of required vaccinations/testing or proof of initiation within sixty (60) days of hire date.
This job announcement is not intended to be inclusive of all functions, responsibilities and qualifications associated with the position, however, representative of the essential job functions and typical criteria considered necessary to successfully perform the position.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE AT: http://www.elpasoco.com For inquiries please call: 719-520-7401.
Each applicant is considered only for the current vacancy indicated on your application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to monitor any future openings and to submit a separate application for each position. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Any new employee and rehires must provide documentation of authorization to work as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (PL99-603).
EL PASO COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER