The Emerging Leaders Internship (ELI) program matches students of color with paid summer internships at top companies throughout the Greater Portland area. This includes all current college students as well as recent graduates who study in/call Oregon or SW Washington home. Find more info about eligibility requirements at emergingleaderspdx.org/faq
ELI brings you the following:
TRAINING + PREPARATION
ELI offers support and training as you advance in the selection process. Applicants who advance to phase two will be invited to a mock interview event designed to build your skills, help you gain experience and grow your network. You will be able to practice your interview skills with professionals and receive feedback on the spot.
SUPPORT + PROFESSIONAL GUIDANCE
Your ELI internship includes mentoring within your host company as well as professional development workshops during the summer and gatherings with your fellow ELI interns. The ELI staff is your resource to answer questions and provide support and encouragement.
COMMUNITY + NETWORK
ELI is a connection point for young, diverse leaders. Meet peers in the ELI family who will be there to support and inspire you through the summer and beyond. ELI gives you the opportunity to interact with professionals, make connections, and establish mentors as you shape your professional career path.
GET EXPERIENCE + GET PAID
Your work, your skills, your time, your creativity–all are valuable. That’s why ELI internships are paid. Work full-time on meaningful projects that will help both you and your host company grow.
- Application Deadline: January 31
- Mock Interview Event (mandatory): Saturday, Feb. 26 or March 5. Qualifying applicants will be assigned a session and invited to attend virtually.
- Company finalist interviews: April 1–30
- ELI Intern Orientation: June (TBA)
- Submit an online application before the Jan. 31 deadline, including a professional resume and short essay questions at www.emergingleaderspdx.org
- If you pass the first screening, we’ll invite you to a mock interview. This is a required step to move forward in the selection process.
- ELI staff will then evaluate your application, resume, and interview results to match 3 students to each internship opening as finalists for the company to select from. Students who apply are not guaranteed an internship.
- In April, if you’re matched to an opening, you will be contacted by the company to set up a finalist interview. Company interviews and offers will take place in April-May and are the decision of the company that is offering the position.
- In June, you’ll attend an orientation to set you up for success in your 10-12 week internship. During the summer, ELI invites you to gatherings to train, provide support, and inspire.
Applications are open now until January 31st at https://www.emergingleaderspdx.org/
Find an ELI summer internship opportunity in
- Marketing & Communications
- Operations & Projects
- People & Engagement
- Finance & Accounting
- Business & Entrepreneurship… and more!
Visit our website for more details: https://www.emergingleaderspdx.org/
About Emerging Leaders PDX
Our mission is to empower diverse talent to excel as professionals through opportunity and a supportive community. Since 2016, we have placed participants into more than 500 internships at 200 companies, with many interns successfully transitioning into full-time roles.