EUGENE FAMILY YMCA JOB DESCIPTION
Job Title: Afterschool Teacher
Start Date: September 2021
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
As an Afterschool Program Teacher you will be part of an amazing team supporting our full day youth development programs. You will provide childcare, online learning support, enrichment & physical activities, teach teamwork and social skills, and support children as they grow and learn. Teachers create positive, nurturing relationships with children, while building cooperative relationships with families. Our programs and youth development staff provide quality experiences to children and parents that focus on the YMCA values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Follows program lesson plans and implements culturally relevant activities in a developmentally appropriate manner, meeting the individual physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs of the participants.
- Serves as a positive role model, demonstrates professional behavior and understands positive youth development approaches to the academic and social development of youth.
- Facilitates a program environment that invites exploration, promotes positive play, and welcomes children.
- Promotes a positive approach to supervision, communication, and interactions with others. Maintains ongoing communication with supervisor.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the YMCA mission, purpose and goals, childcare policies and YMCA standards; ensures the program meets the highest standards of excellence.
- Supports daily online learning sessions for students.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergency procedures.
- Follows all cleaning and sanitizing protocols
- Is up to date and follows guidance put forth by the Early Learning Division
- Checks and responds to email and other communication regularly
- Actively engaged with youth and activities during the program day.
- Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with families, facility/school personnel, members and coworkers.
- Maintains program site and equipment, assists with setup and breakdown of activity centers and cleaning of program areas.
- Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
- Relay information to families about a child’s day respectfully.
- May provide guidance to staff/volunteers overseeing the activities of groups of children
- Continue training in child development minimum of 15 hours per certification year
- Other duties as assigned.
- As a Y staff you are a representative for our Y’s mission and values. As such it is asked that you:
- approach conversations with respect
- uphold the Y’s character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in all interpersonal interactions
- approach all people and situations with an open mind – we can never know all the many perspectives and experiences others bring with them just as they won’t know yours
- be accountable to the energy you bring into the conversation and into the workplace
- 20 semester credits or 30 quarter credits in Child Development, Early Education, Physical Education, Recreation, Special Education or, a minimum of one year or 600 hours experience working in a childcare center licensed by the state, or ACA accredited summer camp.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Valid driver license.
- Adult/Child/Infant CPR & First Aid, Food Handlers certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
- Enrolled in the Child Care Division Central Background Registry (oregonearlylearning.com) and proof of enrollment.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate
- program activities.
- Previous experience with diverse populations preferred. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships
- with people from all backgrounds.
- Acquire 15 hours of training per year, 8 being in child development.
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in activities such as sports, games and curriculum activities and monitor behavior inside and outside.
- Must be able to walk, run, stand, sit, kneel and get back to a standing position.
- Ability to lift and carry weight of 50lbs.
- General housekeeping – Mop/Sweep. Take trash out. Wash dishes. Clean tables, toys, stack and put baskets away etc.
- Follow all sanitation protocol
- Must wear a face covering
Monday – Friday, 2PM-6PM/12PM-6PM
Position hours will vary from site to site.
Additional hours for meetings and training
At the Eugene Family Y, we are an inclusive organization of people with a shared commitment to nurture the potential of youth, promote healthy living, and foster social responsibility. We also believe in supporting the wellbeing of our employees and offer a free Y membership as a benefit of employment.