The Recreational Program Internship is a program where the individual is assists in teaching and leading different classes and activities that may include: leading outdoor academic classes using a science-based curriculum, teambuilding, and recreational activities such as boating, archery, orienteering, and campfires. The intern will assist in preparing program areas and instruct participants in all classes assigned. It is essential to ensure the safety of participants, the proper use of camp equipment, and camp facilities. Interns will provide an enjoyable experience to participants while learning professional skills.
Recreational Program Interns are enthusiastic leaders who have a desire to inspire a love and knowledge of the outdoors to both youth and adult participants.
- Follow risk management guidelines at all time. Follow all camp rules and regulations.
- Instruct environmental education classes using curriculum guidelines.
- Lead camp-like activities: archery, boating, climbing wall, lead hikes, team building, campfire programs, science classes, and seasonally appropriate activities.
- Have lessons prepared for all classes assigned, which communicate accurate knowledge of the subject area to participants.
- Provide opportunities so that each individual participant can experience success during an activity.
- Provide excellent customer service as demonstrated by positive remarks on guest surveys.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner including wearing provided staff shirts, and nametag, and being responsive and helpful to guest questions.
- Set a good example for participants including cleanliness, language, and sportsmanship.
- Provide dining hall facilitation for visiting groups.
- Demonstrates cooperation, support and flexibility toward fellow staff, programs, and the goals and philosophies of the Fairview Lake YMCA Camps.
- Punctual to work and program areas. Prepare in advance for assigned activities.
- Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities. Communicates concerns and all supply needs to the appropriate director in a timely manner.
- Set-up and clean-up of camp areas for group needs: including mopping, carrying wood, moving tables, and liter sweeps.
- Passion for the YMCA mission
- Relevant coursework or prior internship experience preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong written/verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to take initiative and demonstrate out of the box thinking
- Proficient Microsoft Suite skills
- Interns should be students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- All Interns must have proper authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be able to successfully pass a criminal background check.
What you should know about the Metro YMCA Internship Program:
- The 2022 Internship Program runs during the course of a student’s college semester, however, this schedule is flexible based on college schedules. Internship students can be undergraduate or graduate level students.
- Intern must be able to work weekend and weekend hours, including nights.
- Fairview Lake YMCA Camps, 1035 FAIRVIEW LAKE RD, NEWTON, New Jersey, United States of America.
- Depending on the internship program, housing at the facility may be provided.
- This is a paid Internship, however, credit can be given when necessary, and federal work-study students are welcome to apply.
- In addition to the above responsibilities, all Interns will be given the opportunity to use the skills they’ve learned throughout the session to put together an individual presentation and also work on collaborative group projects. The presentation and group project topics will focus on ways to improve processes, products, designs, and programs at the YMCA.