Are you looking for satisfying work with a mission? Join the Office of the Federal Public Defender in advocating for indigent defendants facing criminal charges in federal court. The Federal Public Defender for the District of Oregon is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant for our Eugene office.
• Receive, screen, and refer telephone and in-person callers. Assist attorneys with client contact and answer general inquiries according to office policy.
• Retrieve and deliver documents to the court.
• Perform legal assistant functions for two or more trial attorneys.
• Utilize advanced knowledge of legal terminology, word- and information-processing software.
• Understand federal rules and protocols for CMF/ECF efiling in federal criminal cases.
• Edit and proofread initial drafts, perform cite checking, and prepare correspondence to clients.
• Review incoming mail and distribute appropriately.
• Assemble attachments and prepare documents for efiling.
• Order transcripts as instructed by trial attorneys.
• Assist with closing out cases.
• Accurately and timely maintain Outlook calendar for assigned trial attorneys by posting/updating court deadlines and hearings.
• Perform a variety of other office, case, and attorney support duties as they arise.
• Collaborate with Eugene’s senior legal and administrative assistant (office manager).