The part-time Overnight Residential Youth Counselor (RYC) is a member of the staff team providing twenty-four hour shift supervision for the youth. The Overnight Residential Youth Counselor is an awake shift providing supervision to youth in the program overnight. All RYC’s help to implement the individual case goal plan. The RYC functions as a counselor to all youth and is responsible for performing supervision and guidance tasks within the program.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide care and supervision of youth, including performing regular bed checks and monitoring whereabouts; positively structures morning routines for youth by instructing and guiding youth in self-care tasks, including personal care, wake-up routines, and preparing meals according to posted menus.
- Assist youth with establishing and achieving their goals, while modeling appropriate behavior and healthy relationships.
- Record interactions, health and behavioral observation in youth charts, objectively taking note of activities or incidences, and filing charts according to the organization system.
- Perform house laundry, dishwashing duties, and other chores to maintain a clean and healthy living environment; provides general sanitation support, including the cleaning of offices and restrooms.
- Collaborate as a member of the staff team by attending weekly meetings, having familiarity with each youth’s case goal and supervision plan, and encouraging a sense of community and safety.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- One year of experience in working or volunteering with youth.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences.
- Experience in working or volunteering with at-risk youth.
Non-Bilingual starting rate of $19.67 per hour and Bilingual in Spanish starting rate of $20.26 per hour, with an increase after one year of employment with Friends of Youth.
Consistent schedule Saturday and Sunday from 12 a.m. to 8 a.m. Additional shifts may be available to pickup on a week-to-week basis. Work is performed onsite/in-person.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to engage with diverse populations in a culturally responsive manner, and demonstrate a commitment to the values of equity and inclusion by honoring and
- celebrating diverse characteristics and expressions of personal identity.
- Understand the dynamics of homelessness and trauma experienced by the youth and incorporate knowledge into daily interactions with youth.
- Understanding of clear and appropriate boundaries with youth.
- Knowledge of Strength Based Practice, Harm Reduction and Trauma Informed Care.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must satisfactorily pass criminal history check.
- Must satisfactorily pass tuberculosis (TB) test.
- Must have a valid Washington State driver’s license or be able to obtain one by date of employment, in addition to a safe driving record as defined by Friends of Youth.
Friends of Youth welcomes, honors, and celebrates our clients, colleagues and communities’ diverse identities, histories, knowledges, languages, and cultures. Our organizational values shape the way we work individually and collectively, as we prioritize young people’s belonging and achievement. We work to challenge, alter, and ultimately dismantle interconnected systems of structural and historic oppression. We collaborate with community stakeholders and partners to develop policy and decision-making frameworks that advance racial equity.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Friends of Youth is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on the basis of race, sex/gender, religion/creed, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, national origin, genetic markers, military or veterans status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. People of Color and Members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to apply for this position or to perform the essential functions of this position. To request accommodation, please email HR@friendsofyouth.org.