The Residential Youth Counselor at New Roads works in a collaborative environment to support unaccompanied refugee and immigrant young adult men, ages 16-20, in a small group home setting. The Residential Youth Counselor sees that care is provided 24/7, with a focus on ensuring residents feels safe and supported, and that transportation, medical, educational, and legal needs are met. The Residential Youth Counselor provides 1:1 case management to 1-3 youth residents and works alongside the refugee and immigrant youth to develop independent living skills to empower their next steps into independence.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Model a positive attitude and appropriate behavior for youth residents while teaching independent living skills.
- Provide academic support and tutoring to residents as they meet their education goals.
- Assist in planning a wide range of recreational and vocational activities, including group outings; develop plans with youth for constructive use of free time.
- Facilitate group meetings to constructively address house problems or concerns.
- Teach, supervise, and model chores, including meal preparation and clean-up, room care, and residence maintenance.
- Monitor residents’ health, and document whereabouts and behavior changes; create and maintain the residents’ charts.
- Ability to perform CPR and First Aid and to administer Naloxone, if needed (training provided).
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Minimum one year of experience in working or volunteering with youth.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must have a valid Washington State driver’s license or be able to obtain one by date of employment.
- Passion for working with youth and young adults ages 16-20.
- Bachelor’s Degree in social sciences.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Experience working or volunteering with refugee and/or immigrant youth.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The non-Bilingual starting rate is $18.62 per hour and the Bilingual in Spanish starting rate is $19.19 per hour, with an increase after one year of employment
Friends of Youth cares for their full-time employees by offering a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision coverage, 24/7 access to telehealth, 403(b) retirement plan and matching, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, 15 vacation days per year with annual accrual interests, sick leave, 10 paid holidays, and two paid floating personal holidays per year. We’re invested in our employees’ growth, so professional development opportunities are available 24/7 on our online learning platform. Additionally, all employees and their immediate family members can receive free counseling and mental health support through our Employee Assistance Program.
LOCATION AND SCHEDULE
Consistent weekly schedule, combining day (8 am to 4 pm) and swing (4 pm to 12 am) shifts. Two consecutive days off are provided. May be required to work holidays and must be willing to work weekends. Work is performed onsite/in-person in Kirkland, WA.
Friends of Youth welcomes, honors, and celebrates our clients, colleagues and communities’ diverse identities, histories, knowledges, languages, and cultures. Our organizational values shape the way we work individually and collectively, as we prioritize young people’s belonging and achievement. We work to challenge, alter, and ultimately dismantle interconnected systems of structural and historic oppression. We collaborate with community stakeholders and partners to develop policy and decision-making frameworks that advance racial equity.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Friends of Youth is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on the basis of race, sex/gender, religion/creed, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, national origin, genetic markers, military or veterans status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. People of Color and Members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to apply for this position or to perform the essential functions of this position. To request accommodation, please email HR@friendsofyouth.org.
For the full job description, please e-mail HR@friendsofyouth.org.