About The Role
Every summer, we invite talented rising seniors to join us for a challenging, hands-on experience in the retail industry. The ten-week Summer Intern Program is based in San Francisco and New York.
The Internship Program combines meaningful work experiences with exposure to different areas of our business to give interns a unique opportunity to expand their knowledge of the retail industry and determine whether they would like to pursue a career at Gap Inc. after graduation. As an intern, you will get to meet our senior executives and leaders in Merchandising. You will work on impactful projects and you will have the opportunity to present to senior management. We invite you to participate in events, such as hanging out at a baseball game, happy hours, local excursions, volunteering in the community, etc.
Our Merchandising Interns will get exposure to the buyer/merchant role at a global vertical retailer. These interns will work on a merchandising team within a specific Gap Inc. brand participating in key milestone meetings and supporting projects to drive the business. Past projects include identifying white space in the market for potential opportunities, running a competitive analysis on product assortment and pricing and competitive shopping with merchant teams for research and inspiration.
What You’ll Do
- Support merchant teams in key projects throughout the summer, and actively participate in presentations to senior leadership based on findings
- Monitor trend reporting, social channels, blogs and magazines to identify trends based on category and project needs
- Create mood/inspiration boards with pictures and product inspiration to support project presentations & category needs.
- Shop the competition online & in stores to collect data points on a variety of business needs by category. These needs include data on price points, customer trends, style count in store & online, promotional activity, customer profiles & target customer, flow strategies, & product performance.
- Maintain, create, and understand weekly & monthly reports and tools used by merchant teams to understand category performance and participate in conversations and ideas to drive the business.
Who You Are
- Undergraduate degree in progress – accepting students that graduate in December 2022 and Spring 2023.
- Previous experience in Microsoft Excel required; other Microsoft Office programs a plus
- Passion for retail with a strong trend point of view and customer obsession. Retail experience preferred.
- Ability to share out information to an audience with effective oral and written communication utilizing various forms of media (PowerPoint, Pinterest, mood/inspiration boards).
- Attention to detail and an ability to work with raw data to understand customer priorities
- Self-starter attitude with an ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Strong intellectual curiosity & willingness to learn