The Department of Antibody Engineering is seeking a talented and experienced Senior Scientist to lead a research group focused on the discovery and engineering of novel antibody drugs. The successful candidate will work with dynamic and highly motivated teams to drive the development of antibody therapeutics for unmet medical needs. The candidate will lead his/her own research lab and collaborate across all therapeutic areas at Genentech. This position requires effective participation in multidisciplinary teams with members from Genentech Discovery Research, Developmental Sciences, and Pharma Technical Development.
Primary responsibilities will focus on two areas:
i.). Develop cutting-edge platforms for the discovery and engineering of multi-specific and/or functional antibodies with new activities.
ii.) Serve as molecule or project team leader to direct therapeutic antibody lead selection, optimization, and engineering for internal antibody drug discovery programs and advance of lead molecules into the clinic.
The individual should leverage skills in protein engineering, structural biology, biochemistry, or computational biology to design creative and innovative solutions to address challenges in therapeutic antibody development. Exceptionally strong leadership and communications skills are essential for the position as the individual is expected to lead an independent research group and collaborate across the organization to discover and advance next generation therapeutics.
Who You Are
- Ph.D. in a biological science plus post doc experience, including at least 4 years of recent structural biology, protein engineering, and/or antibody engineering in academia, biotechnology and/or pharma.
- Strong background in structure-based protein analysis and/or engineering. Experience with computational protein engineering is a plus.
- Experience with antibodies is preferred, but not required.
- Solid record of accomplishments and publications as evidence of scientific knowledge.
- Excellent communication and leadership skills with a deep commitment to working as part of teams.