There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
The Global Product Development Group (GPD) is looking for innovative intern Software Engineers to help us build state-of-the-art platforms. This position while Software in nature is embedded in the Engineering organizations of General Motors.
- Software Engineers: Software codes, algorithms, embedded systems, and architect software to optimize controller resources and throughput. This software will run throughout our vehicle ecosystem, so you will be able to do hands on work that can directly affect customers. Understanding Agile methodology.
Software Engineer responsibilities & desired skills:
- Develop software that may run on vehicle controllers, mobile phones, Android-based infotainment systems, or cloud infrastructure
- Convert/interpret algorithms and other required documents into software code
- Design, develop and test feature behavior and interaction between hardware and software
- Develop test cases aligned with requirements in manual and automated test environments
- Perform data analysis and research to assess vehicle feature feasibility
- Experience with programming languages such as Python, C++, Java, etc.
- Efficient use of MATLAB/Simulink
- Demonstrated algorithm generation and connection to physical requirements
- Participate in Agile and SaFe development activities
- Take part in daily stand-ups, sprint planning and iteration demos
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
- Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
The start date for these Internship roles are for May & June of 2022 Spring/Summer Internship
GM will provide a one-time lump sum taxable stipend payment to each student selected for the 2022 Student Program
Required qualifications for all positions:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in the following fields of study at time of application:
- Computer Engineering
- Software Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Controls Engineering
- Controls Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Information Systems Engineering
- Must be Sophomore standing or higher
Preferred Skills for all positions:
- Prior internship experience in automotive or technology
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of Engineering Principles
- Deliver new and creative solutions to complex problems
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, takes initiative and is proactive
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability, and trust
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to interpret and share content
- Collaborate with varying degrees of management and other coworkers
- Demonstrate leadership in field of study, extracurricular activities, or service organizations
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.