Purpose of the Job
The Research Scientist supervises Chemists to identify, develop, characterize, and formulate novel additives, solvents & salts used in the formulation of electrolytes. They manage the completion of research projects, which includes developing strategy, assigning tasks and monitoring progress throughout the project. As a head scientist on a project, it is the responsibility of a Research Scientist to organize the research effort and report on the project findings. According to Gotion’s quality systems, the Research Scientist follows proper protocols for testing procedures and documentation.
The incumbent is responsible for identifying, developing, characterizing, and formulating novel additives, solvents & salts used in the formulation of electrolytes. The incumbent contributes to the support of the global R&D Technology Center team members and local Technical Service Engineers in recommending electrolyte solutions for regional customer problems. The incumbent interprets application challenges into feasible solutions, visits customers with the marketing team to understand their needs and plays a key technical role in commercializing electrolyte products for two to three key regional customers. The incumbent also plays a key role in developing the technical capabilities of the R&D Technology Centers. The position recommends and develops new products within the capabilities of the Electrolytes business for internal and external customers.
Knowledge and Experience
- BS degree in chemistry (or related field) and minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience in an industrial laboratory environment, or a MS degree in chemistry (or related field) and minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in an industrial laboratory environment, or a PhD in Chemistry or Materials Science (or related field) and minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in an industrial laboratory environment, required
- 4 years minimum experience in direct communications with internal customers
- 2 year minimum experience in direct collaborations and communications with external customers.
- Advanced understanding of battery or energy storage systems required
- Background working with battery systems and electrochemical testing required.
- Experience working with air-sensitive and moisture-sensitive reactions and processes required
- Synthesis and formulation expertise in battery materials and systems required
- Experience in project management is required
- Ability to develop new technical concepts connected to business needs
- Strong work ethic and problem solving attitude
- Strong customer focus
In addition to the required Gotion global competencies, highly developed proficiency in the following competencies must be evident and demonstrated:
- Analytical Thinking
- Work management
- Project Management
- Written, verbal and presentation skills to communicate directly with customers
- Manages research and application product development projects, coordinates project work within the local research groups
- Researches select R&D topics related to electrolytes, electrodes and batteries with an understanding of their potential commercial impact.
- Develops and oversees experiments and operations to develop new materials for use in electrolytes under general direction of scientists.
- Interacts with key customers to develop a strong commercial focus to determine market needs in the battery industry and propose and implement technical solutions.
- Prepares and presents technical results directly to customers.
- Interacts and coordinates project planning and product development activities directly with customers in order to investigate and commercialize new technologies
- Monitors the needs of the group and organizes purchasing of items <$10K within site budgetary guidelines.
- Proactively moves projects towards completion in time-efficient manner (short to medium term projects/topics)
- Helps with the preparation of proposals for outside funding opportunities through writing editing, proofreading, researching and assisting the team involved in the process.
- Interfaces with outside collaborators and grant partners through meetings, calls and emails by sharing relevant information and contributing to the overall success of the program.
- Participates in facility planning activities
- Leads preparations for internal and external audits, including writing and documenting processes and helps to implement those processes.
- Leads process and safety reviews and prepares documentation.
- Directs the activities of assigned technicians, chemists and technical service engineers to complete project objectives; mentors reports in their scientific career
- Attends and presents group experimental data at internal BASF meetings
- Files monthly report to direct supervisor
- Ensures good housekeeping in laboratory and storeroom. Disposes of waste and obsolete materials according to Gotion, local, state and federal rules and regulations. Attends and helps to lead all required training sessions and follows/monitors all safety regulations.