About the Company
United Malt Group is an international, performance-motivated malt supplier operating 13 strategically located malt production facilities throughout the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom. We are the world’s fourth largest commercial malt producer supplying malt to brewers and distillers around the world from the largest of multinational organizations to the smallest craft brewers. We celebrate our people and we work together to deliver on what we promise. We’re focused on developing a skilled workforce and encouraging diversity of both people and thinking.
Safety • Passion • Quality • Integrity
Reporting to the Malt Innovation Center (MIC) Manager and the Director of Quality & Technical Services, the Malting and Brewing Technician (MIC Technician) will join a team of professionals who are passionate about quality and innovation. The entry-level position will have responsibilities for work involving technical initiatives with a focus on malt quality, new crop assessment and supporting the production team across crop year changeover, assessment of new malting barley varieties, and transitioning new product development into commercial production. This will involve building skills in both malting and brewing, along with working as a liaison with the plant operations staff. The MIC Tech will be cross trained in the Lab and will provide support to the Laboratory Technicians as necessary while playing a key role in malt research, production, and customer support. Please include a cover letter with your resume upon applying.
- Malting, steeping, germination and kilning duties and documentation, including those of the MIC and
- production facility as required.
- Perform and document duties relating to brewing, fermentation, cellaring, and kegging duties.
- Document process parameters applied in the MIC with understanding of scale impact to move production into a commercial environment.
- Daily cleaning and monitoring of malting and brewing processes.
- Daily and weekly sample collection, processing, and testing.
- Perform innovation trial duties. This may include activities outside of the MIC and may involve pioneering
- and/or participating in production malting trials. Activities may include planning and executing trials,
- monitoring product/processes and collecting data, documenting, and reporting outcomes of trials, as well as
- processing and distributing reports.
- Assist in acquiring materials as necessary, including grain, kegs, sensory, small parts, empty bags, supplies,
- and outside testing.
- Present findings of product performance against benchmarks.
- Ensure all serious non-conformances, safety/environmental permits, approvals, regulations, and best practices have been promptly reported to Supervisors. Adhere to safety regulations, including use of PPE and at times, a full-faced respirator.
- Lead client Malt Plant Tours and describe malt process to customers.
- Perform Lab work as needed.
- Flexibility in working hours- exact daily hours can vary depending on malting schedule and may require
- periodic weekend work.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Critical reasoning and investigative skills are required, along with the ability to read, write, and perform math calculations at a University level.
- Must be self-motivated, with an ability to troubleshoot issues and identify appropriate resolution(s); develop sense of ownership of processes.
- Above average verbal communication skills are required.
- Willingness to work in a team environment with peers in various departments and trades.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Ability to perform physical position, including walking, standing on concrete, moving heavy bins and buckets, moving conveyers and augers, and climbing steps.
- Ability to work in an environment with exposure to malt dust, steam, steam mixed with malt dust, hop dust, and industrial noise from plant machinery/ processing equipment.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in related field, preferably Fermentation Sciences or Food Sciences, or equivalent work experience required.
- Experience in brewing preferred. Homebrew, professional, or scholastic exposure is acceptable.
- Versed in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and PowerPoint.
- 1-3 years of experience preferred.
- Technical training in brewing is a plus.
- Science and/or business training is a plus.
- Formal training and certification in driving a forklift is a plus.
An attractive compensation and benefits package will be provided. We offer a generous benefits package including: medical/dental/vision/RX plan, flex spending accounts, EAP, paid holidays, paid time off program of 4 ½ weeks, basic & voluntary life insurance, STD, LTD, 401(k) plan, pension plan (CAD), fitness subsidy and tuition reimbursement. Employees are eligible for product discounts through our CMG Homebrew Division, as well as discounts from various external vendors.
*Benefits package varies between US and Canada.