Under the supervision of an administrator, performs a variety of instructional activities; assists in conducting intensified learning or physical education experiences for Individuals with Exceptional Needs (IWENs); performs a variety of clerical and supportive tasks for instructional personnel.
WE ARE ONLY ACCEPTING ONLINE APPLICATIONS FOR THIS RECRUITMENT. You may apply online by visiting http://www.hlpusdjobs.org/ and clicking on “Open and Promotional Jobs.” If you need assistance applying online, please contact us at (626) 933-3920.
APPLICANT FILING INFORMATION: This recruitment is open to the public. An eligibility list will be established to fill vacancies for full time, part time, evening, summer, and substitute positions throughout the duration of the eligibility list. Eligibility lists typically last for six months. Vacant positions are filled from the top three ranks. Pursuant to PC Rule 6.2.10, the eligibility list established for this recruitment may be used for another related classification at the same or lower salary.
CURRENT OPENING: There are currently multiple part-time openings (10 months, 25 to 30 hours per week). Salary placement will be on Range 15 of the CSEA Salary Schedule “B”. Initial salary placement for new employees is customarily at step 1 ($18.49 per hour) of this 6-step salary range.
NOTE: Answers to the supplemental questions and proof of your highest obtained education or transcripts must be submitted with your application. You may upload the documents to your online application or fax them to Maria Murillo at (626) 3337416.
- Tutors individuals and small groups of students to reinforce progress in learning activities. Assists in the management and shaping of student behavior through the use of positive reinforcement strategies.
- Directs students into safe activities and in the development of appropriate social behavior.
- Assists teachers and other professional personnel with instructional and behavioral management activities and strategies with students experiencing interruptions of the learning process due to special needs.
- Assists in maintaining a neat, orderly and attractive learning environment.
- Assists in the development of a variety of instructional materials for use with individuals and small groups of students, or in activity centers.
- Assists in maintaining student records and files.
- Assists instructional personnel in the implementation of Individual Educational Plans (IEPs).
- Monitors and assists students through drill and practice activities.
- Operates a variety of instructional media, computers and office machines and equipment. Distributes and maintains inventory of textbooks, supplies and equipment.
- Administers and scores classroom tests.
- May at times perform diapering, changing soiled clothes due to incontinence and performs other duties as directed.
The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 requires public schools to be in compliance when hiring paraprofessionals for classroom instruction. The following additional requirements are:
- Possession of high school diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent AND ONE of the following:
- A minimum of 48 semester or 72 quarter units of college coursework
- An Associate’s or higher degree
- Pass an assessment that demonstrates knowledge of and the ability to assist in teaching, reading, writing and mathematics.
One year of paid or volunteer experience within an educational or child care setting, preferably serving special education students.
Successfully complete a physical examination. Absence of back problems or any other physical impairments that might preclude the performance of physical labor or lifting.
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- English usage, punctuation, spelling and grammar.
- Basic arithmetical concepts.
- Student behavior management techniques and strategies.
- Learning problems of children with special educational needs.
- Concepts of child development and child behavior characteristics.
- Simple record keeping and record management.
- Public education goals and objectives.
- Basic housekeeping methods.
- Learn and utilize simple methods and procedures to be followed in an instructional setting.
- Perform simple clerical tasks and operate standard office machines and computers.
- Effectively utilize training received on the job.
- Lift and carry up to 50 lbs. unassisted and over 50 lbs. with assistance.
- Tolerate strong odors.
- Work well with children.
*For a complete job description, including physical demands and work environment pertinent to this job, please see the job bulletin at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/hlpusd.