The Hamilton Lane Analyst Development Program is professional development program which begins with cohort based intensive training at our Philadelphia headquarters. Analysts work in one of six teams (Fund Investments, Secondary Investments, Direct Investments, Real Assets, Evergreen Portfolio Management or Private Market Analytics) in a role which progressively grows in responsibility and accountability over the three-year period.
Analyst roles are challenging. They are held to high standards and evaluated and coached regularly.
Once they’ve successfully completed the initial three-year assignment participants may:
- Be offered the opportunity stay at Hamilton Lane on an Associate track.
- Continue their education.
- Use the professional network and relationships created during the program to transition their career to another firm within the asset class.
Successful candidates are interested in institutional asset management, they have demonstrated excellence in their studies, activities and internships; they are intellectually curious, analytical, progressive, creative thinkers; they are energized by working in a team based environment; and they are exceptional communicators.
The Secondary Investment team is primarily responsible for the sourcing and evaluation of investment opportunities in existing private equity funds. Secondary team members evaluate secondary investments by conducting research and due diligence on the underlying portfolio companies and private equity firms. Since the work involves both manager assessment and company analysis, the skill set overlaps with those developed in both Fund Investments and Direct Investments roles. The secondary private equity market is one of the fastest growing segments in the global private equity asset class, with a high demand for talent.
As a first year Secondary Investment Analyst, you will begin to develop the skills to assist deal teams as they evaluate the purchase of stakes in mature private equity funds. Analysts will gain extensive qualitative and quantitative skills in order to create projections for sale timing and proceeds, and to establish a bid price and structure for each fund or portfolio.
In addition to working on special projects and other company initiatives, first year Secondary Investment Analysts:
- Assist with analyzing private equity companies and funds by conducting industry research, constructing comparable company analyses, and using leveraged buyout models;
- Monitor the performance of existing investments in the firm’s secondary portfolios;
- Identify potential new secondary opportunities by reviewing proprietary firm information on existing private equity managers and their funds.
Second year Secondary Investment Analysts continue to build on the skills attained in their first
year. However, as investment acumen develops, they take on a more comprehensive role in the modeling and analysis of private equity secondary transactions. They participate in due diligence calls with general partners and assist with investment memoranda for Hamilton Lane’s Investment Committee.
In their third year, Secondary Investment Analysts have developed their competencies, professionalism and investment acumen to the point where they take on a more senior role on deal teams. Working more independently, they conduct due diligence calls and participate in due diligence meetings with General Partners and assist with the broader scope of a secondary transaction. This includes planning the due diligence process, writing the investment memoranda, and assisting with the transaction closing processes.
To be considered for Hamilton Lane’s Analyst Development Program, we require:
- High academic achievement: 3.0 or higher overall GPA required.
- Majors: We are interested in applicants who have demonstrated excellence in their chosen majors, have strong analytical talent, and are keenly interested in investments. We will consider all majors for our program; however, the following majors are preferred: Business, Finance, International Business, Accounting, Economics, Financial Engineering, Engineering, Mathematics.
- Language: English Fluency.
We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated:
- On-Campus Leadership: in clubs, sports, community service, etc.
- Success in Professional Level Internships: with references to illustrate that success
- Language Skills: additional spoken and written languages.
- The ability to work in the US without sponsorship.
Applications must include a resume.
Only applications received through our website will be considered:
Learn more about the Hamilton Lane Analyst Development program by visiting: http://www.hamiltonlane.com/Analyst-Development-Program/