HM.CLAUSE is a Business Unit of Limagrain, an international agricultural co-operative founded and managed by farmers. HM.CLAUSE specializes in the breeding, production, and sale of vegetable seeds. From the world market to the farmer’s market, we collaborate with our customers to deliver successful solutions for the agricultural challenges of today and produce the highest quality vegetable seeds for the future. Our global team of experts and state-of-the-art research facilities enable us to work side-by-side with growers to provide the most regionally relevant and reliable vegetable seeds available.
POSITION SUMMARY: Assist in the production of high-quality field and greenhouse-grown vegetables to the standards and expectations established by the Operations, Breeding, and Research teams, conducting activities that promote uniform and consistent plant growth.
Under the supervision of the Greenhouse Grower, the Greenhouse Operations Aide’s responsibilities will be to provide hands-on support for all typical Davis & Dixon Research Site greenhouse activities.
NOTE: This position requires work on some weekends and holidays.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITIES, but are not limited to, the following:
Breeding and Research Support
• Sowing, transplanting, harvesting, and seed processing of multiple crops from the field and greenhouse
• Scouting for pests and diseases in the greenhouse
• Organizing, overseeing, and training other workers involved in greenhouse and breeding activities
Station Greenhouse Crop and Facility Management
• Preparing planting media in appropriate containers, sowing, thinning, and transplanting of seeds/seedlings
• Hand watering of transplants
• Assist with greenhouse cleanup and disposal of plants, containers, media, etc. after project completion
• Assist in greenhouse set-up prior to the start of a new cycle
• Assist in the application of routine pesticide and fertilizer application
• General operational support for breeding and plant pathology projects and programs
• Work alongside contract laborers conducting routine operational and breeding activities
• Conduct routine maintenance of greenhouses and associated facilities/equipment
• Collection and processing of plant tissue samples (e.g., seed, leaf, fruit, etc.) for molecular analysis by research teams
• Data entry into breeder or research databases and spreadsheets
• General lab and office operational support activities
Station operation support
• Help set up equipment and tools associated with key station activities including sowing, harvesting, seed
extraction, fruit handling and processing, and seed packaging
• Support general site, lab, office, or greenhouse activities as needed
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• High School diploma or equivalent
• 1+ years of field/greenhouse operations experience in a research or production setting.