HM.CLAUSE is a Business Unit of Limagrain, an international agricultural co-operative founded and managed by farmers. HM.CLAUSE specializes in the breeding, production, and sale of vegetable seeds. From the world market to the farmer’s market, we collaborate with our customers to deliver successful solutions for the agricultural challenges of today and produce the highest quality vegetable seeds for the future. Our global team of experts and state-of-the-art research facilities enable us to work side-by-side with growers to provide the most regionally relevant and reliable vegetable seeds available.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITIES but are not limited to, the following:
- Supports the business and the office of the General Counsel in a broad range of legal areas, including but not limited to contracts, product performance liability, licensing, intellectual property, commercial operations, antitrust, employment, real estate, corporate law, litigation management, dispute resolution, and insurance in both US and foreign subsidiary operations within the AMPA region.
- Plays significant role in ensuring business objectives are achieved in compliance with relevant laws, policies, and procedures, and regional strategic priorities.
- Provides advice and guidance to employees and management of the company and its subsidiaries and affiliates on legal issues and business matters.
- Provides counsel and conducts training of internal business partners in areas of product-performance liability, intellectual property management and protection, business ethics, anti-bribery, and labor and employment matters, among others.
- Supports the placement of multiple lines of insurance for the company, its subsidiaries, and affiliated entities.
- Supports the management and monitoring of insurance claims under different lines of insurance.
- Provides counsel on HR matters and assists with employment issues and/or potential litigation.
- Advises business functions by ensuring that commercially sensitive, pragmatic, and practical legal support and advice is provided in a cost-effective manner.
- Implements and assesses policies to ensure that the company’s exposure to legal risks is managed and mitigated appropriately.
- Participates in and contributes to industry events and trade associations activities.
- Drafts, reviews, and negotiates contracts with customers, vendors, and strategic partners internally and externally, and supports the management of contracts in line with company’s policies.
- Provides support and advice in internal investigations and litigation discovery.
- Expected to stay up to date on legal and regulatory matters affecting the company and to proactively provide advice when applicable.
- Ensures compliance with the company’s data privacy accountability obligations and policies, and best practices.
- Will progressively increase their participation in shaping policies and strategy as they grow in their role.
- Expected to gain strong and specialized knowledge and progressively assume broadened and expanded responsibilities, including in management within the department.
Other duties of the role of Senior Associate Legal Counsel may include:
•Manage outside counsel and support the GC in litigation affecting the organization;
•Contract drafting and/or review and assist in negotiation with third parties;
•Provide additional value to the business beyond current functional process stewardship;
•Counseling on legislation and government relations;
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Juris Doctor Degree and a member in good standing of the State Bar of California, or any other US State or territory, and eligible and able to be a registered in-house counsel in California.
- Minimum 7 years of progressive experience in the practice of law as a corporate lawyer, in a law firm, or a combination of both.
- Outstanding written and verbal English proficiency.
- Spanish language proficiency a plus.