Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and ResponsibilitiesStart and end dates for this position are during summer 2022 (3 months)
As a Back End Developer Summer Intern you:
- Are experienced with client-server architectures, networking protocols, application development, and using databases.
- Have experience using and developing APIs.
- Understand user and system requirements
- Have an understanding of, or experience with, Agile development methodology.
What You’ll Do:
- You’ll work in a dynamic, collaborative environment to understand requirements, design, code and test innovative applications, and support those applications for our highly valued customers.
- You’ll employ IBM’s Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality, and stability.
- Design and code servers, services, applications and databases that are reusable, scalable and meet critical architecture goals.
- Create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) that are clean, well-documented, and easy to use.
- Create and configure Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) applications. Design and implement large scale systems and Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) that enable continuous delivery.
Who You Are:
- You are highly motivated and have a passion for creating and supporting great products.
- You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with people of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
- You are great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
- You have a basic understanding of software development and programming languages.
- You have the ability to learn new skills quickly and use the skills efficiently.
These are office based positions in IBM locations including the following. Opportunities in these locations will vary based on demand & will be deleted as filled:
AZ – Tucson
CA – Costa Mesa, Emeryville, Foster City, San Francisco, San Jose
CT – Southbury
GA – Brookhaven, Sandy Springs
KS – Leawood
MA – Andover, Cambridge, Littleton
MN – Rochester
NY – Armonk, NYC, Poughkeepsie, Yorktown Heights
NC – Charlotte, Research Triangle Park
OH – Columbus
PA – Blue Bell
TX – Austin, Dallas, Houston
VA – Herndon
VT – Essex Junction
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Must have basic knowledge in one or more of the following technology areas: C++, C, Java, Ruby, Python, Perl, SQL
- Basic knowledge of operating systems and how they work (i.e. Operating systems courses); Container technologies; Internet Services; and/or Managed Services
- Basic understanding of user and system requirements
- Have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Agile development methodology
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Skilled in working with Linux Kernel, scheduler, memory management system, device drivers, hardware architectures
- Familiarity with APIs
- Experience working with servers, applications and databases