Software Developers at IBM are the backbone of our strategic initiatives to design, code, test, and provide industry-leading solutions that make the world run today – planes and trains take off on time, bank transactions complete in the blink of an eye and the world remains safe because of the work our software developers do. Whether you are working on projects internally or for a client, software development is critical to the success of IBM and our clients worldwide. At IBM, you will use the latest software development tools, techniques and approaches and work with leading minds in the industry to build solutions you can be proud of.
Your Role and Responsibilities
Start dates for this position are February 2022 and later
Being a Cognitive Software Developer involves creating learning systems that enable humans and machines to perform better. These systems are designed to create new partnerships between people and machines to augment and scale human expertise in every industry, from healthcare to financial services to education.What You’ll Do:
• Create and maintain machine learning models with a focus on big data
• Work in an Agile, collaborative environment to understand and develop solutions for requirements. This includes designing, coding and testing innovative applications in areas such as machine learning, computational linguistics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), advanced and semantic information search, extraction, induction, classification and exploration.
• Assist with implementing, testing and improving algorithms in these areas and proactively identify and file patentable technology
• Employ IBM Design Thinking to create products that provide a great user experience along with high performance, security, quality and stability.
Who You Are:
• You are great at solving problems, debugging, troubleshooting, designing and implementing solutions to complex technical issues.
• You thrive on collaboration, working side by side with developers and scientists of all backgrounds and disciplines, and you have very strong verbal and written communication skills.
• You have some awareness of knowledge representation and reasoning.
• You have a basic understanding of software development and programming in a language such as Java or Python.
• You have an interest in, understanding of, or experience with Design Thinking Methodology and Agile Development Methodology.
For Software developer roles, entry level hires participate in our 2-year learning experience program called JumpStart. JumpStart provides a collaborative environment and an immediate ecosystem and framework that instantly makes you feel part of the team. JumpStart is focused on attracting and training the world’s best talent and giving them the experience and exposure to the worlds’ best tools and technologies. It’s about creating endless opportunities matching your interests with all the opportunities across IBM to make a difference in the world.
These are office based positions in IBM locations including the following. Opportunities in these locations will vary based on demand & will be deleted as filled:
AZ – Tucson
CA – Costa Mesa, Emeryville, Foster City, San Francisco, San Jose
CT – Southbury
GA – Brookhaven, Sandy Springs
KS – Leawood
MA – Andover, Cambridge, Littleton
MN – Rochester
NY – Armonk, NYC, Poughkeepsie, Yorktown Heights
NC – Charlotte, Research Triangle Park
OH – Columbus
PA – Blue Bell, Pittsburgh
TX – Austin, Dallas, Houston
VA – Herndon
VT – Essex Junction
About Business Unit:
No matter where you work in IBM, you are making an impact. As an Early Professional with IBM, you will be taking on a key role with one of our industry-leading business units to work on the technology that is solving our most challenging problems and changing the way the world thinks.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Must have basic knowledge in Java and/or Python.
• Advanced knowledge of software engineering practices including Agile processes
• Basic knowledge in Data Mining / Automated Knowledge Acquisition, Representation & Reasoning
• Experience in Machine Learning environments (R, Tensorflow, scikit-learn, Theano, Torch, etc.)
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
• experience in characterization and validation of Cognitive Systems via user studies
• One or more internship or co-op experiences