The Financial Coaching Intern reports directly to the IRC’s Financial Coach and supports efforts under IRC’s Financial Capabilities program. Financial Capabilities, a program within the Economic Empowerment Department, provides clients with the knowledge and tools needed to gain an economic foothold in the U.S. through financial literacy workshops, one-on-one financial counseling and goal setting, budget planning, tax preparation and connecting clients with community financial resources.
- Work with clients to create a personal budget and provide strategies for budget improvements.
- Work with clients to complete a detailed financial assessment of their household.
- Assist the Financial Coach in resolving clients’ financial challenges.
- Assist the Financial Coach in helping clients apply for IRC credit-building loans, education loans, and auto loans.
- Make appropriate referrals to external personal finance professionals, as appropriate.
- Support the IRC’s in-house tax preparation services by scheduling appointments of clients and interpreters, scheduling volunteer tax preparers, and other logistical support as needed.
- Provide general administrative and clerical support, including data entry and filing.
- Strong interest in working with international clients.
- Proven ability to work with consideration and respect for cross-cultural differences.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs and internet research.
- Enthusiasm for helping people to learn and demonstrated professionalism.
- Interns must be able to work at least 15 hours a week for at least three months.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.