►This is an unpaid internship position. Opportunities to earn school credit may exist depending on your school’s policies and requirements. If interested in earning school credit from your internship, please indicate so when applying.
Background: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has a presence in over 40 countries and 27 offices in the United States; the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC opened an office in Seattle in 1976 and provides immediate resettlement assistance, employment assistance, intensive case management, immigration services, health and wellness programs, and education support.
Scope of Volunteer Work: The vision of the IRC Seattle Youth Program is that refugee youth will have the skills and resources necessary to pursue a future of opportunity. You can help newly-arrived refugee youth catch up on their education and navigate especially difficult virtual learning environments due to COVID-19, as a Youth Tutor Program Intern! The IRC in Seattle’s Tutor Program is for refugee students, grades K through 12, entering schools in the Seattle area. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, schools in the Seattle area will open in the Fall with virtual only instruction and newly arrived students and English language learners need extra support to navigate online assignments and be successful in this new and challenging learning environment. Under the direction of the IRC Senior Youth Program Coordinator and Youth Program staff, interns will facilitate activities that support students as they navigate online learning, focus on English literacy and fluency, Math, building social and emotional skills, and navigating the US education system. This internship may be of particular interest to someone studying education or TESOL. Read what previous interns have said about their experiences working with the Youth Program!
Location: Remote – Office based in SeaTac, WA.
Time Commitment: Minimum two full days/week, maximum four days/week (Mon-Thurs, tutoring hours between 9am-8pm). 10-25 hours to week. Regular schedule required. Position begins mid to late September. 3 month commitment required, 6 month commitment preferred.
Essential Position Functions:
- Provide weekly virtual tutoring sessions for newcomer refugee/immigrant students
- Support newcomer students with navigating online learning platforms and successfully completing online/remote school assignments, building digital literacy, increasing English literacy and fluency, and providing home-work help
- Keep up to date records of student attendance and participation in the tutoring program
- Participate in weekly group workshops
- Conduct parent outreach calls to ensure parents have up-to-date information about changing school policies and instructional models
- Provide assistance in administering pre- and post-assessments
- Troubleshoot tech issues with students and staff, as they come up.
- This internship is for undergraduate students, graduate students, or recent college graduates
- Teaching, tutoring, or youth development experience required
- Must be culturally sensitive, respectful of diverse backgrounds and willing to work with English language learners; previous cross-cultural communication experience is a plus
- Previous experience working with youth; comfortable leading activities and working 1:1 or in small groups
- Ability to communicate effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful, but not required
- Must be outgoing, energetic and flexible
- Comfortable using Zoom, file storage websites, and Outlook
- Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
- Access to reliable computer and internet
Reports to: Youth Program Staff
How to Apply
Complete the IRC’s online volunteer and intern application.
- Email a one-page resume and one-page cover letter to VolunteerSEA@rescue.org with “Youth Program Internship” in the subject line. In your cover letter, indicate which position(s) you are applying for. If applying for multiple positions, please indicate your order of preference. Incomplete applications (e.g. missing online application, resume or cover letter) will not be considered.
Priority application deadline: August 16th, 2020. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us at VolunteerSEA@Rescue.org.