POSITION: McDaniel High School SUN Program Tutoring Coordinator
WAGE: $16.83 per hour
LOCATION: McDaniel High School (2735 NE 82nd Ave)
APPLY AT: https://irco.org/who-we-are/careers-start.html
STATUS: Hourly/ On-Call without Benefits
PROGRAM(S): SUN Tutoring Program
REPORTS TO: SUN Site Manager
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination or request for accommodation may be required.
Demonstrated ability to connect with and maintain productive relationships with youth and volunteers that promote academic success. Works with Youth under age 18, must pass criminal background check Works in school settings/Not Remote
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: The Tutor Program Coordinator organizes and manages the SUN tutoring services for McDaniel High School students. This person works with the SUN Site Manager to recruit, interview and onboard volunteer tutors. The coordinator may implement a mix of in-person and remote tutoring services to meet the needs of students this school year. They will pair tutors with small groups of students, oversee scheduling, host the virtual sessions, provide technical support and overall supervision of student-tutor matches.
• Recruit, train, and support volunteer tutors
• Partner with SUN Site Manager to recruit students and connect them to virtual tutoring services
• Build and maintain rapport with students, teachers, and community partners
• Conduct tutoring sessions or connect students to subject-specific volunteer tutors, including High School level: o Math (Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Financial Math, and/or Statistics) o Sciences (General Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, and/or Human A&P) o Writing/Lit (English Language Arts, Foreign Languages, Social Studies, College & Scholarship Applications, etc.)
• Track volunteer hours and student participation and submit reports on time
• Complete special projects as determined by SUN Site Manager
JOB SPECIFIC QUALIFICATIONS:
• Ability to complete & understand High School Level Curriculum
• Strong writing, language, and communication skills
• Display strong networking and relationship-building skills
• Ability to be flexible to perform variety of tasks and activities
• Ability to work in both a team environment and independently
• Excellent technology skills and confident in leading on digital video platform
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft & Google Suite products
• Professional, creative, adaptable, and excited to work in a multicultural, multilingual environment
Some college course work
Experience: 1-2 years of experience is required
Licensure, Certification: N/A
Additional Language Required: N/A
Computers: All positions at IRCO require use of a computer and experience working with Microsoft Products including but not limited to Microsoft 365, Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Regular communication inside and outside the organization to exchange ideas and gather information
Creativity: Regular need for redesign of a single focus process or procedure is needed
There is minimal variation in tasks. The job holder is free to determine in which order tasks are completed, but cannot choose to not complete a task
Position requires little physical effort such as lifting, carrying, or constant movement, but does allow for movement needed to complete work tasks
Impact and Influence:
Minimal need or ability to analyze problem or concepts or make decisions on the information. Dollar amounts influenced would be considered small. Responsibility for the prudent use of assets does not extend beyond own work responsibilities.
Positions perform routine work with regular supervision and generally are given instructions or written procedures. Positions occasionally encounter variation and are encouraged to suggest ways to respond, but can’t take final action without approval
Positions at this level have little to no planning responsibility beyond the need to schedule own work and determine impediments to own work schedule.
Positions at this level are not responsible for any supervisory functions or responsibilities, but may occasionally be asked to orient and/or train new employees or volunteers.
This level has a work environment that is usually well protected, free from hazards or obstacles. There is little element of personal risk or hazard Job conditions are usually comfortable, with only occasional issues, temperature change
The work schedule occasionally fluctuates based on organization or customer needs. This fluctuation may occur with or without prior notice.
HOW TO APPLY:
This position requires the completion of an IRCO Employment Application.
Applications are accessible on the IRCO website https://irco.org/who-we-are/careers-start.html. Attach resume and cover letter along with the IRCO Employment Application form and email jobs (at) irco.org. Materials submitted without a completed application are considered incomplete and will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications received, we will not be able to contact each applicant or return calls regarding the status of your application.
ABOUT IRCO: The Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO) is a non-profit organization established in 1976 to serve immigrants, refugees, and the broader community in Portland, Oregon. Our mission is to promote the integration of refugees, immigrants, and the community at large into a self-sufficient, healthy, and inclusive multiethnic society. Find out more at www.irco.org.
IRCO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER