Our education news publication, EdSurge, is looking for a versatile Part-time Business Reporter who is passionate and knowledgeable about the people and ideas that shape education—especially during this period of extreme change and upheaval. The reporter will cover the business of education, with an eye toward how this rapidly growing edtech sector is impacting educators and students in early childhood, K-12 and higher education, and play a key role in producing our popular Biz newsletter.
We welcome creative, confident and concise writers who can communicate complex ideas to our audience. Not every article will be 700-900 words long; sometimes charts and graphs do a better job at telling the story.
In this job you will:
- Report and write about 4-6 articles per month (both news and features).
- Pitch new stories and tackle assignments from editors.
- Develop and maintain networks of sources from across education.
- Rock deadlines.
- Write newsletter copy and help produce our EdSurge Biz newsletter.
- Participate in story and team meetings via Zoom.
- Contribute to overall EdSurge editorial efforts, helping edit staff stories and general contributors on occasion.
- 2+ years professional reporting experience for a media outlet. (Education, business or tech reporting preferred.
If you are the kind of person who wonders:
- What’s really working? What’s not?
- Which emerging trends have the potential to transform education long-term?
- Who is not being served by current models?
- How are technology and the edtech industry reshaping education in a period of great change?
- What struggles are schools, students and educators facing during the pandemic?