Want to make a difference in the lives of youth? Join Janus Youth Programs to help build a stronger community!
The Youth Care Specialist is responsible for providing ongoing supervision and care for male adolescents. This position assists in the treatment and supervision of youth in the custody of the Department of Human Services through the provision of individual and group skills training, recording daily observations, targeting treatment goals, and by maintaining a structured living environment in accordance with program expectations. The position is responsible for assisting in the day-to-day operation of a residential facility. The position provides quality youth care and close, intensive supervision of male adolescent clients.
SCHEDULE: 40 hours/week; Sunday 4 pm-11 pm. Monday-Wednesday 3 pm-11pm, Thursday 1:30 pm-10:30 pm; plus additional hours for staff meetings and supervision. However, this schedule may be adjusted according to the needs of the program.
WAGE/BENEFITS: $15.05 per hour. Janus offers an excellent benefits program including medical, dental, life & long-term disability insurance; EAP; 401(k) and paid time off (varied eligibility waiting periods apply). Voluntary optional coverage is also available.
TO APPLY: Please apply online through Paycom: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=61524&clientkey=B2769BCD28C361F478D256B9462A3454
Applications for all positions may be forwarded to appropriate similar positions within Janus Youth Programs. Positions may vary by location, pay structure, union, and supervisory staff.
QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education, experience and training that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position is qualifying.
- Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent education, experience and/or training which is defined, at a minimum, as one year work experience AND two years education, training, or additional work experience, all in the care and rehabilitation of youth. (Note: No less than 50 percent of the Youth Care Specialists shall have a Bachelor’s Degree.)
- Preference may be extended to current employees of Janus Youth Programs, Inc.
- Value working in a multi-cultural/diverse environment.
- Ability to work effectively within: culturally diverse populations; team dependent models; crisis management; strength-based theoretical orientation; adolescent development; and family reunification. Ability to work effectively may be demonstrated through academic experience, job experience, references, and interview responses.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with a broad variety of people, including clients, staff, supervisors and management.
- Able to climb at least one flight of stairs.
- Able to perform meal preparation and perform or supervise routine household cleaning.
- Able to provide visual and auditory supervision of residential clients.
- Able to accurately read, record and interpret information and complete written documentation that meets contract and program guidelines.
- Able to remain calm and emotionally available in an environment serving youth who require a high level of supervision and redirection from staff.
- Ability to work effectively in a team-dependent environment and to act on the agenda of the program.
- Ability to exercise tact, discretion and judgment in working with a variety of people.
- Ability to maintain appropriate professional boundaries in working with others and in handling confidential information.
- Ability to effectively monitor safety and demonstrate group management skills and effectively deescalate potentially chaotic or volatile situations.
- Ability to regularly attend scheduled shift, be punctual for scheduled shift and meetings, and be in a condition suitable for assuming responsibilities of position.
- Ability to stay awake and alert throughout assigned shift.
- Manual/physical dexterity allowing for performance of routine office and household tasks such as phone use, copying, filing, computer use, writing, bending, reaching, food preparation, etc.
- Able to occasionally lift and carry supplies and groceries that could weigh 20# or more.
- Driving is required; drives agency vehicle and/or a personal vehicle for travel and/or transport clients required. All employees who drive for work purposes must have and maintain a valid driver’s license for state of residency, have a driving record that permits coverage under the corporate auto liability policy, and complete the agency’s driving approval process before driving for work. If driving a personal vehicle for work purposes drivers must also have personal auto liability coverage ($100,000/$300,000 levels strongly recommended). Employees are not to drive for work purposes until they have received written authorization to do so.
- Bloodborne Pathogens training is required on first day of employment and annually thereafter.
- Must complete Mandatory Abuse Training within the first 30 days of employment and annually thereafter.
- Provides emergency first-aid, as needed, and must have and maintain standard first-aid/CPR certification.
- Must pass criminal history background check.
- Food Handler’s Certification.
- Must obtain National Provider Identification Number through the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System.
- Full Covid-19 vaccination will be mandatory by October 18, 2021.
- May involve exposure to communicable diseases, including a variety of illnesses and infections such as the common cold, TB, Hepatitis, flu, meningitis, and HIV.
- May involve exposure to upset, angry, severely traumatized or emotionally disturbed children, adolescents and families.
- May involve time in excess of routine schedule and/or overtime, including evening/overnight, weekend hours, and/or holidays.
- May require working and providing services at locations other than program site (i.e., restaurant, café’, clients’ apartments, etc.,) and may, therefore, be exposed to environments not under agency control (i.e., second-hand smoke, varying hygiene practices, etc.).
This position description is intended to give the reader a general idea of the overall purpose and the main activities and responsibilities that are intrinsic to this position. While this description is intended to be representative, it is not intended to be limiting.
Learn more about Janus Youth Programs at www.janusyouth.org!