As an Assistant R&D Grower at Kawahara Nurseries you are an important member of our team responsible for managing and analyzing plant research and development trials that we conduct on an ongoing basis. The goal of plant research and development is to continuously improve our plant product lineup by testing for quality plants that we can produce reliably for our retail customers and that ultimately perform well in the garden for end consumers. Our growing production capacity totals 175+ acres of greenhouse and outdoor growing space at two facilities in Morgan Hill and Gilroy. We produce young plants and finished annuals, perennials, vegetables, herbs, succulents, cacti, and specialty crops such as poinsettias and mums.
Along with the Management Team, Head Grower, Grow Team and Sales Team, you will source trial ideas through internal review, supplier recommendations, customer feedback and other sources. You and your team will be responsible for coordinating purchasing of trial inputs, scheduling production, space planning, and the overall growing needs, as well as for post production analysis and reporting of the finished trial product.
- Work with safety and injury prevention at the top of mind for you and your teammates
- Document and organize product data such as media mix, timing, temperature, irrigation, fertilization, growth retardant, spacing and Integrated Pest Management needs
- Learn, train and hold yourself and others accountable to best growing practices – make the people around you better
- Provide maintenance and/or capital expenditure recommendations for greenhouse and outdoor growing areas
- Research and identify potential sustainable growing areas for future investment
- Degree in Horticulture or related major
- Bedding plant and/or young plant growing interest
- Open to obtaining Pesticide Applicator’s License
- Excellent computer and email skills – will need to learn new company software system
- Work many weekends throughout the year
- Bilingual in reading, writing, and speaking Spanish a plus