Lamar University is looking to hire an Admissions Counselor, Houston. Admissions counselors are responsible for recruiting prospective students by promoting Lamar University programs to undergraduate students, pre-admission advisement and matriculation to ensure enrollment goals are met. This position will live and work in the Houston Texas area and reports directly to the Assistant Director of Student Recruitment.
Preferred candidates are people-oriented who enjoy traveling and has the ability to immediately build rapport with young adults and their families. This position allows opportunity to lead and conduct presentations and recruit potential students in different areas of Houston. This position plays a key role in advancing the university enrollment and admissions initiatives in the Houston area.
- Recruit prospective students by providing accurate and timely-pre-admission advisement to prospective students, parents, families and other members of the public.
- Providing knowledgeable and professional representation of Lamar University with students in groups, one-on-one, and during on and off campus events to increase community awareness.
- Working directly with area high schools, technical centers, businesses, and other constituencies in activities designed to prepare students for college and enrollment at LU.
- Facilitating the pre-admission and conversion process through various sales methods to include, but not limited to: automated and personalized communication, high school visits, pre-screened cold calling, presentations, etc.
- Assisting prospective students, and their families with the ApplyTexas application, Federal Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA), and other pre-college preparation requirements.
- Maintaining and expanding prospective student recruitment through lead generation, prospect guidance, and matriculation assistance.
- Researching prospective student history, following though on leads, and maintaining records on assigned recruiting territory.
- Attending events and making presentations to communicate with prospective students and their parents in an effort to promote Lamar University and its programs.
- Evaluating prospective student needs and building productive relationships by providing individualized assistance with educational goal identification, program selection, payment/financial aid planning, and paths degree and/or certificate completion.
- Corresponding professionally with students offering advice, resources, or referral to other campus resources.
- Advising the Assistant Director of Student Recruitment on significant matters and supporting other members of the team in meeting goals and expectations.
- Contributes information and supports team efforts by accomplishing goals, monitoring competition and reactions from prospective students.
- Addressing issues and inquiries from prospective students, parents, families, and other members of the public in a timely and professional manner.
- Participating in staff development programs and campus functions. Make recommendations regarding the website and publications to promote campus visit programs.
- Work with recruitment leadership to develop communication plans as a follow-up to campus visits.
- Attend various functions that merit Lamar University’s attendance (i.e. scholarship award ceremonies)
- Performs all other essential duties as assigned.
- Health insurance and other benefits as an employee of the State of Texas.
- Tuition assistance is provided to employee, a spouse and/or eligible dependent children.
Required Knowledge Skills/Abilities:
- Contacts with coworkers from other organizational units of the University.
- Tact and judgement are requirements in obtaining or giving information of a confidential nature.
- Comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgement and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
- Demonstrated time-management skills, ability to multitask, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively and respectfully with diverse populations.
- Strong interpersonal skills, creative problem-solving skills, and demonstrated skills in oral and written communication.
- Presentation and public speaking skills.
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Valid driver’s license required
• Admissions Counselors are expected to travel extensively within Lamar University’s recruitment zones. Evening and weekend hours will be required.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.
-Bilingual, English, and Spanish preferred but not required
-Experience recruiting a diverse and varied student population including low socioeconomic (SES), first generation, and other groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education preferred.
-Sales experience and familiarity with customer relationship management systems, relationship selling, and other sales techniques preferred.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Job Posting Link: Lamar University | Admissions Counselor, Houston #494769