At Macmillan Learning, the health and safety of our employees and contract staff is a top priority. Accordingly, COVID-19 vaccinations will be required for all staff that will be working in a Macmillan Learning office, or have job duties requiring them to travel for work. If offered the role, the candidate will need to provide proof of vaccination in advance of their start date. Employees can request religious and/or medical exemptions to this requirement by following the process outlined in the offer letter.
Start your educational publishing career at Bedford, Freeman & Worth High School Publishers, a branch of Macmillan. We are passionate about creating great learning tools and resources for students and teachers, and we are looking for an editorial assistant for our High School team who shares our passion for helping this targeted audience.
The editorial assistant will provide support to various members of our editorial team and will help to develop print and digital content for Advanced Placement courses. In addition, the assistant while gaining experience with important editorial processes that are central to successful educational publishing.
This position is located in our New York office. Due to COVID-19, our employees are working remotely until at least October 2021.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist editors with project planning and editorial development, as well as sales, marketing, and market development research and support
- Recruit, communicate with, and help coordinate review programs and implement surveys in Qualtrics to solicit feedback on new projects and revised editions
- Correspond with authors, teachers, and production and manufacturing representatives
- Format and prepare manuscript for production
- Oversee the development of ancillary content such as Teacher’s Editions, Teacher’s Resources Materials, Lecture Presentation Slides, and print and digital assessments
- Maintain and update data in key editorial systems
- Perform clerical tasks such as running reports, processing payments for honoraria and vendor invoices, handling sample requests and mailing, and managing paperwork and project logs
- Help find solutions and offer support for miscellaneous needs or tasks that arise in the day-to-day work of the program manager and editors
- Other special projects and career development that may expand your skill set and help you explore potential career opportunities at Macmillan Learning
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Ability to communicate and coordinate effectively and professionally with diverse stakeholders across departments
- Experience tracking deadlines and deliverables
- Initiative, curiosity, and follow-through
- Highly organized in your approach to work
- Must be able to concentrate and maintain detail-orientation in busy, open office environment
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize, and maintain calm and focus under stressful situations
- Must be able to bend and reach to file and shelve books
- Internship or work experience with publisher or educational publishing company
- Experience working as a teacher, teacher’s assistant, or tutor
- Experience working in a corporate office or academic office environment
- Customer outreach experience
- Project management experience
- Experience working with shared documents on Google office suite, Adobe Acrobat, and project tracking software such as JIRA
- Knowledge of educational technology a plus
Regular full-time and qualifying part-time employees and their dependents are eligible for Macmillan benefits, effective on the employee’s date of hire. Macmillan also offers health benefits coverage to qualifying same-sex and opposite-sex domestic partners (may require additional documentation) of active employees.
- Competitive pay and bonus plan
- Generous Health Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Contributions to your Registered Retirement Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off policy and paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program, Education Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid life and AD&D insurance
- Fast-paced, intellectually challenging professional environment
- And much more!
Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world’s best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Late Nite Labs, EBI-MAPworks, i<clicker, REEF and Hayden-McNeil.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, veteran, family and economic status and background, geographical background and status, and perspective. We believe that the best companies reflect the incredible diversity in viewpoints, backgrounds, and identities of the world in their staffs, and are committed to inclusive hiring across departments and levels. You can read more about our Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion initiatives here.
The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Bedford, Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources at Macmillan Learning.