Position: Sales & Distribution Manager
Scope: Take the lead on selling our malt to a growing number of brewers and distillers, with support from our community of Mainstem innovations reps and true-believer customers. Develop and maintain relationships with ingredients distributors in key geographies to best serve current and prospective customers. Work closely with operations to help ensure that our service and products are meeting the needs of our markets. Work closely with communications to help amplify our customers’ brands.
- Location: Work from home and on the road! Must be based in Western WA/OR.
- Commitment: 20 hours/week for a 3-month trial period, with the goal of transitioning into a full-time salaried position by month 4.
- Age: Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Transportation: Must have a reliable vehicle and be able to travel regularly to
- accounts throughout WA, OR, ID, and AK. We pay for your travel and time.
- Compensation: $25/hr starting wage. $50k once salaried, plus stock options and assorted benefits.
- App. Close Date: Open until filled.
Think you’re a good fit? We’d love to get to know you. Email a resume and cover letter, including two references, to Kether & Phil at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mainstem was founded with a vision to use malted grain as a tool to support conservation projects on family farms, and the vision blossomed into something much bigger. When consumers are empowered to see and influence the malt supply, beer and spirits gain exciting new capacities to support a wide range of environmental and social progress. From river restoration to DEI to carbon sequestration to relocalization of grain economies, there’s no limit to what’s possible when we’re all working together.
We currently buy grain from 4-6 Pacific Northwest family farms each year, work with 3 different craft malt houses to turn that grain into finished malt, and market the finished malt directly to a growing community of whiskey distillers and craft brewers in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Alaska.
Why we’re hiring
Early in 2021, Mainstem entered into a new malting partnership with Montana Craft Malt that allows us to malt our farmers’ grains at a more efficient scale. Our desire is to make the most of this partnership by selling enough malt to get the company to profitability within the next 1-2 years. The Sales & Distribution Manager is therefore a mission-critical role, and the right person filling it will open up a world of opportunities for themselves and for Mainstem. This person will also have ample room for growth within Mainstem’s leadership.
- Fermentation: A conversational knowledge of the craft brewing and distilling industries, and an ability to relate deeply to the lives of craft brewers and distillers.
- Supply Chain: A functional knowledge of the way brewers and distillers and chefs currently get their ingredients (e.g., direct relationship, distributor, etc) and a vision for the future that includes more creative models and local-to-regional supply chains.
- Written Comms: Strong written communication skills, ideally with online examples of their writing.
- Technology: Proficiency in Google Suite, spreadsheets, and project management software (e.g., Asana, Monday). Experience with CRM software. Desire to learn more about and engage in software development. Orderly file management habits.
- High Integrity: Sticks to the facts, even when inconvenient, and follows through with their commitments.
- Attitude: Strategic, resourceful, positive attitude, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, evolving, and supportive work environment.
- Engaging: Seeks to lean into relationships with a wide range of our stakeholders, to better understand where they come from, what inspires them, their constraints, and how we can make progress together.
- Drive: A drive to build a meaningful career in any combination of the industries we serve, while helping Mainstem punch well above its weight as a company.
- Teamwork: Has empathy, self-awareness, and a natural tendency to understand the impacts of actions on other team members. Has the discipline to manage projects collaboratively and transparently.
Come as you are
The “mainstem” is the longest continuous channel in a river network. A place where many streams converge into something of regional significance. And for us as a company, it’s an important metaphor for collaboration. We strive to bring together seemingly disparate interests, to work toward innovative solutions, united by the things we love.
Equal opportunity employment is a natural extension of the Mainstem philosophy. We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and make all employment-related decisions based on job-related qualifications. We believe that empowering an increasingly diverse team is paramount to our future as both a company and a changemaker.